Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com> on 2018/03/20 23:38:10 UTC

Re: Move documentation from readme.io to GitHub pages

I looked into Docusaurus and GitBook. I liked Docusaurus better because it
allows publishing to github pages or other static files hosts, and various
other features. My findings are mentioned in the ticket -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7595 .

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.
I did a very shallow research on Jekyll. Work flow seemed similar to
Docusaurus but more flexible in terms of directory structure- how docs can
be placed in the repo (Docusaurus requires docs to be stored in a
particular directory structure), as well as sidebar menu ( Docusaurus does
not allow child pages). Additionally, if so many open source projects are
using Jekyll, then I think it's definitely worth a try.

-Prachi

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Copied from the ticket.

*Feature*

*Docusaurus*

*GitBook*

*Free*

Yes (FaceBook open source project)

Yes (Free version only allows 5 contributors)

*Setup and Installation*

Easy installation and configuration steps.

Initial setup is easy; Need to look around for customization.

*Standard Markdown*

Yes

Yes

*Versioning*

Yes (automatic)

Yes (via github branching)

*Search*

Yes

Yes

*Table of contents for pages*

Yes (out-of-the-box)

No (Default theme does not support it; maybe availble through external
plugin)

*Support child pages*

No

Yes

*Allows website design customization*

Yes

Limited; Use external theme plugins.

*Top Nav bar & Footer*

Yes

No

*Live server(localhost) to view changes*

Yes

Yes

*Tab navigation on pages*

No tab navigation support out-of-the box.

Note: It is possible to create tabs using external React JS plugin or
implementing a React component. For example, React Native uses Docusaurus
and have implemented tabs-
http://facebook.github.io/react-native/docs/getting-started.html

No tab navigation support out-of-the box.

Note: It is possible to create tabs using external GitBook plugins.

*Publishing the website*

Publish the documentation site to Github pages or other static file hosts.

Publish the documentation site to git.gitbook.io (or custom domain) or
other static file hosts.

*Store all markdown files on github*

Yes

Yes

*Editor*

Use text editor. Alternatively, IntelliJ can be used, it has a plugin for
Markdown.

Provides desktop and online editor.

*Active support and development*

Yes. Facebook engineers are pretty responsive!

Hmm.. some people are wondering if they are still alive :-)

Prachi, thanks for the research and summary. I cast my ballot for
Docusaurus. It has much more prominent benefits over

GitBook such as a table of content, more advanced visual customization,
ability to edit from IntelliJ, and support by Facebook

engineers -- probably that's the way for Ignite to get installed at
Facebook in the future.

--
Denis