Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Cristian Makoto Sandiga <cm...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/15 20:34:42 UTC

KafkaSpout with offsets.storage=kafka for HighLoad

Hi,

I want to replace my RedisSpout and i was developing a POC, with
KafkaSpout, but i'm worried for consumer offset manager with zookeeper and
HighLoad write, maybe loose offset, failover, etc.

I was thinking about a zookeeper cluster for any data loose, but i think is
still better save in kafka  server offset at least is a kafka
recommendation
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Committing+and+fetching+consumer+offsets+in+Kafka
.

That has any documentation about offset.storage in KafkaSpout i read all
mailing list but i didn't find nothing talking about it, has anybody
working in a possible feature? or maybe somebody has a good recommendation
for me?.

I really will appreciate your help.

Application with normal traffic: 100 000 msgs/seg High 500 000 msgs/seg

replication factor-> 2

1 topic -> 10 partitions
1 topic ->  10 partitions
1 topic -> 5 partition

storm-kafka -> 0.9.4,
kafka_2.10 -> 0.8.2.1

Re: KafkaSpout with offsets.storage=kafka for HighLoad

Posted by Cristian Makoto Sandiga <cm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks , for your answer srikanth.
Current KafkaSpout doesn't support this new feature available in Kafka.
I was looking for something similar a few weeks back.

Srikanth

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Cristian Makoto Sandiga <
cmsandiga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Jeffery, yes.

> As I read your email and the link within it, I believe that your question
>> is:
>>
>> * Does there exist or is anyone working on a KafkaSpout which stores its
>> offsets in a highly durable Kafka Topic, instead of within ZooKeeper?
>>
>> Is that a correct interpretation of your question?
>>
>> Thank you for your time!
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++
>> Jeff Maass <ma...@gmail.com>
>> linkedin.com/in/jeffmaass
>> stackoverflow.com/users/373418/maassql
>> +++++++++++++++++++++
>>

>> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Cristian Makoto Sandiga <
>> cmsandiga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to replace my RedisSpout and i was developing a POC, with
>>> KafkaSpout, but i'm worried for consumer offset manager with zookeeper and
>>> HighLoad write, maybe loose offset, failover, etc.
>>>
>>> I was thinking about a zookeeper cluster for any data loose, but i think
>>> is still better save in kafka  server offset at least is a kafka
>>> recommendation
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Committing+and+fetching+consumer+offsets+in+Kafka
>>> .
>>>
>>> That has any documentation about offset.storage in KafkaSpout i read all
>>> mailing list but i didn't find nothing talking about it, has anybody
>>> working in a possible feature? or maybe somebody has a good recommendation
>>> for me?.
>>>
>>> I really will appreciate your help.
>>>
>>> Application with normal traffic: 100 000 msgs/seg High 500 000 msgs/seg
>>>
>>> replication factor-> 2
>>>
>>> 1 topic -> 10 partitions
>>> 1 topic ->  10 partitions

Posted by Srikanth <sr...@gmail.com>.

cmsandiga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Jeffery, yes.

> As I read your email and the link within it, I believe that your question
>> is:
>>
>> * Does there exist or is anyone working on a KafkaSpout which stores its
>> offsets in a highly durable Kafka Topic, instead of within ZooKeeper?
>>
>> Is that a correct interpretation of your question?
>>
>> Thank you for your time!
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++
>> Jeff Maass <ma...@gmail.com>
>> linkedin.com/in/jeffmaass
>> stackoverflow.com/users/373418/maassql
>> +++++++++++++++++++++
>>

>> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Cristian Makoto Sandiga <
>> cmsandiga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to replace my RedisSpout and i was developing a POC, with
>>> KafkaSpout, but i'm worried for consumer offset manager with zookeeper and
>>> HighLoad write, maybe loose offset, failover, etc.
>>>
>>> I was thinking about a zookeeper cluster for any data loose, but i think
>>> is still better save in kafka  server offset at least is a kafka
>>> recommendation
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Committing+and+fetching+consumer+offsets+in+Kafka
>>> .
>>>
>>> That has any documentation about offset.storage in KafkaSpout i read all
>>> mailing list but i didn't find nothing talking about it, has anybody
>>> working in a possible feature? or maybe somebody has a good recommendation
>>> for me?.
>>>
>>> I really will appreciate your help.
>>>
>>> Application with normal traffic: 100 000 msgs/seg High 500 000 msgs/seg
>>>
>>> replication factor-> 2
>>>
>>> 1 topic -> 10 partitions
>>> 1 topic ->  10 partitions

Posted by Cristian Makoto Sandiga <cm...@gmail.com>.