Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Valery Masiutsin <va...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/17 20:51:46 UTC

Request for trunk clean up

Hello, guys.

I'd like to ask you for some trunk repo clean up.
IMHO  autoconf files that we are regenerating each time, should be
deleted from trunk, otherwise it is getting tricky to get  svn diff of
 changes, all this Makefile.in/config.h.in stuff is considered changed
as well, and gets into diff.
Files that needs to be deleted:
configure
Makefile.in
src/apache-1/Makefile.in
src/apache-1/Makefile.in
src/Makefile.in
doc/Makefile.in
config.h.in

Correct me if i am missing something.

Regards Valery

Re: Request for trunk clean up

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> On my day job digging in the gstreamer sources, i've grabbed a  look
> inside their autogen.sh script, here is the interesting bits, probably
> we need something similar to be added to our build.sh/autogen.sh
> scripts.

Yeah, something like that looks good, although I don't know if it's ok
to just cut and paste it, because it's probably GPL'ed.

--
David N. Welton
http://www.welton.it/davidw/

Re: Request for trunk clean up

Posted by Valery Masiutsin <va...@gmail.com>.
Hello, David !

On my day job digging in the gstreamer sources, i've grabbed a  look
inside their autogen.sh script, here is the interesting bits, probably
we need something similar to be added to our build.sh/autogen.sh
scripts.
----------------------------
echo -n "+ check for build tools"
if test ! -z "$NOCHECK"; then echo " skipped"; else  echo; fi
version_check "autoconf" "$AUTOCONF autoconf autoconf-2.54 autoconf-2.53 autocon
f-2.52" \
              "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/autoconf/" 2 52 || DIE=1
version_check "automake" "$AUTOMAKE automake automake-1.9 automake-1.7 automake-
1.6 automake-1.5" \
              "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake/" 1 7 || DIE=1
version_check "autopoint" "autopoint" \
              "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gettext/" 0 11 5 || DIE=1
version_check "libtoolize" "$LIBTOOLIZE libtoolize glibtoolize" \
              "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libtool/" 1 5 0 || DIE=1
version_check "pkg-config" "" \
              "http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig" 0 8 0 || DIE=1

die_check $DIE
--------------------------

As you see they are checking for packages installed (leaving part with
ENV variables, up to the user), and stopping script if versions of
those packages is less than expected.
What do you think ?

Posted by Valery Masiutsin <va...@gmail.com>.
Hello, David !

>From my experience of building rivet on different platforms
(OpenBSD,FreeBSD, Debian ). we need to describe stuff in README, and
place simple shell script to perform generation,  leaving up to the
user setting of right environment variables,in OpenBSD for example,
they support multiple versions of autoconf  simultaneously, you have
to export version of autoconf/automake you are using.
My own build script looks like this:
-------------------------
#!/bin/sh

set -x
gen_all () {
    aclocal
    automake
    autoconf
    autoheader
}

conf_1 () {
./configure \
--with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 \
--with-tclinclude=/usr/local/include/tcl8.4 \
--with-apache-version=1 \
--with-apache=/usr/ \
--with-apache-include=/usr/lib/apache/include \
--with-apr-config=/usr/local/bin/apr-1-config  \
--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs \
--enable-shared  \
--enable-symbols
}

conf_2 () {
./configure \
--with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 \
--with-tclinclude=/usr/local/include/tcl8.4 \
--with-apache-version=2 \
--with-apache=/usr/local/apache2  \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-apr-config=/usr/local/bin/apr-1-config  \
--enable-shared \
--enable-symbols
}
conf_3 () {
./configure \
--with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 \
--with-tclinclude=/usr/local/include/tcl8.4 \
--with-apache-version=2 \
--with-apache=/usr/local/  \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs2 \
--with-apr-config=/usr/local/bin/apr-1-config  \
--enable-shared \
--enable-symbols
}
build_all () {
    make
}
gen_all
conf_2
build_all
-------------------------

I have 3 versions of apache on my system:
apache1 -  with reference mod_rivet
apache2 - from ports to test stuff
apache2 with debug - which i keep in /usr/local/apache and use for gdb
debugging and actual development.
I serve all of them with this script on all platforms -just modifying
configure arguments.
Of course i can modify it to add additional checks for autotools file
in the ${PATH}, but i doubt it will help. IMHO if somebody will spot
problems with gen_all()  function - on his specific platform - it will
be easier to mention his specific case in README, possibly modify
build environment with workaround.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
Since this stuff isn't in subversion, we should however make
genconf.sh friendlier by checking to see if you have all the
libtool/auto*crap that you need to get things set up, or at least say
so in the README.  Do you guys recall how to do something like that in
sh?  Like if `which libtoolize` is false...

--
David N. Welton
http://www.welton.it/davidw/

Re: Request for trunk clean up