Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Carl Johnstone <mo...@fadetoblack.demon.co.uk> on 2005/09/14 14:08:33 UTC

Re: catalyst/Debian (was Re: *nix distro compatibility)

> I'd like to have similar flexibility as to *nix distribution -- e.g.
> developed/
> supported under one (likely, Debian 3.1; that's what I know best), and
> later
> tested/ supported under others (if the need arises and help is available).
> I'm
> hoping that Catalyst will facilitate this goal.

There's stuff available for Debian, but as with mod_perl2 itself, catalyst
is a little young - there's nothing in stable.

There are some pacakages in testing, if you're happy to run that (and
recommend your customers run that should you release before Debian) -
there's some backported stuff available (linked from the catalyst site) but
I've found that it's incomplete.

I don't expect the situation would get any better for a while yet - catalyst
still seems to be under large amounts of development...

Carl

RE: catalyst/Debian (was Re: *nix distro compatibility)

Posted by David Christensen <dp...@holgerdanske.com>.
Carl Johnstone wrote:
> There's stuff available for Debian, but as with mod_perl2 itself,
> catalyst is a little young - there's nothing in stable.
> There are some pacakages in testing, if you're happy to run that (and
> recommend your customers run that should you release before Debian) -
> there's some backported stuff available (linked from the catalyst
> site) but I've found that it's incomplete.

I had the same result using:

    http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/Faq_ref#bg.7

I've been talking to people (including Krzysztof) on the Catalyst mailing list:

The near-term answer seems to be using CPAN to install Bundle::Catalyst
(Bundle::Catalyst::Everything is broken).

> I don't expect the situation would get any better for a while yet -
> catalyst still seems to be under large amounts of development...

The long-term answer is to make Debian packages for Catalyst.  The need has been
recognized, and the desire is there.  I've volunteered to help.  What to join
us?  If so, meet us on the Catalyst mailing list.

David