Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Anders Forsgren <an...@digitalfarmers.com> on 2003/11/29 17:00:06 UTC

xindice & xml:db samples

Hi all,
How do I get the xmldb block samples working?

I found this page, which is as confusing as it is new
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XMLIndiceCocoon2.1

I have the cocoon 2.1.4-dev up and running, with the xmldb block
included. Do I need to create the 'db' database or any special
collections in the xindice db before the xmldb samples work? If so, how
do I create data? Do I still need to build & run xindice from the
command line to do that?

rgds
Anders

Re: xindice & xml:db samples

Posted by Anders Forsgren <an...@digitalfarmers.com>.
>> Hi all,
>> How do I get the xmldb block samples working?
>
> They don't exist at the moment ...

Ah I get it, I'm at the edge of the devel process :) I thought I was
just too stupid to get it running....

 Am I correct when I think that cocoon together with xindice embedded
will be a brilliant sort of "self-contained" app? (i.e. the App will be
truly portable, the data can reside in WEB-INF)? If so, then this should
be the main benefit of the proposed cocoon-nuke: the fact that most
people who want a cms or community portal can't install and prepare a
dbms, a web server, and php/perl/whatever - site. Dumping a .war into
the webapps dir of a servlet container would certainly be a lot easier.

rgds
Anders

Re: xindice & xml:db samples

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 29.11.2003 17:00, Anders Forsgren wrote:

> Hi all,
> How do I get the xmldb block samples working?

They don't exist at the moment ...

> I found this page, which is as confusing as it is new
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XMLIndiceCocoon2.1

... what I wrote on this page too. What exactly is confusing? Maybe you
can change the confusing things. I thought it's more clear than before.

> I have the cocoon 2.1.4-dev up and running, with the xmldb block
> included. Do I need to create the 'db' database or any special
> collections in the xindice db before the xmldb samples work? If so, how
> do I create data? Do I still need to build & run xindice from the
> command line to do that?

Yes, the db is empty. How to fill it? That's exactly the point I don't
know, but this will change in near future hopefully. But you are not the
only one asking, also committers are working on xindice or want to use
it, so there is a higher chance, that something will be done :-)

Xindice 1.1 provides an embedded and a standalone mode (as written on
the wiki page). The way you did it (=> xmldb block) you have Xindice
running in embedded mode.
You *can* also run it in standalone mode. Therefore you have to "build &
run" Xindice yourself (but this is not necessary for embedded mode). The
documentation for filling the database is available at
http://xml.apache.org/xindice/, but depends on tools only delivered with
standalone mode. And so, to come back to the first point, I don't know
how to fill the db in embedded mode.

Joerg