Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Do...@uni-duesseldorf.de on 2005/10/04 13:31:44 UTC

PDF/X and CMYK respectively

Hello, FOP world!

Currently I am deciding wether to use Cocoon or the PDFLib to produce PDF
documents over a web application. A very important question for me is the
following: Can I produce PDF/X compatible files or is there another way to get
CMYK colour schemes in PDF documents with Cocoon in association with FOP?

In the hope that someone here is able to help me,

Greetings and Good Byte

Re: PDF/X and CMYK respectively

Posted by Do...@uni-duesseldorf.de.
Thats bad luck! But thank you for your fast reply.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Sure, it's allowed to think about things like that but everyone has to
be aware that these are non-standard extensions to the XSL specification!

On 05.10.2005 15:00:58 Dirk Bromberg wrote:
> In XEP you can setup the colors via:
>
> rgb-icc (255, 255, 0, #CMYK, 0, 0, 1, 0)
> and
> rgb-icc(255,255,0, #SpotColor,'PANTONE Orange 021 C',0.33)
> rgb-icc(255,255,0, #SpotColor,'PANTONE 169 M',0.5, #CMYK,0,0.2,0.2,0)
> rgb-icc(255,255,0, #SpotColor,MyColor,0.33, #Grayscale,0.5)
>
> is it possible to think about using the same way or is this not allowed?
> The first values are the fallback rgb and then there is a way to setup
> cmyk or Pantone.
>
> Dirk
>

> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

> >> I just downloaded the v1.6 spec,
> >

> > FWIW (but this may have already become apparent in the meantime :-)):
> > The talk was about the XSL-FO 1.0 spec here.
> >

> > Greetz,
> >
> > Andreas

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDF/X and CMYK respectively

Posted by Dirk Bromberg <br...@tzi.de>.

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Warren Young <wa...@etr-usa.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> "the spec
> doesn't contain a CMYK color model, therefore it's unlikely
> we'll integrate support even if we get a code contribution."

I just downloaded the v1.6 spec, and I see several useful tidbits.
Pages 207-259 and 450-454 look particularly useful.  If anything is
missing, I imagine it's included by reference in the ICC spec.

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference16.pdf
http://www.color.org/ICC1V42.pdf

Re: PDF/X and CMYK respectively

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> This is not implemented. By the number of times this has come up by now,
> one would think there are people around who would actually start
> implementing these missing features.

Well, at least one potential volunteer had been told "the spec
doesn't contain a CMYK color model, therefore it's unlikely
we'll integrate support even if we get a code contribution."
This was in the Great FOP Depression. In any case, we have to
come up with a way that marks CMYK clearly as an extension to
the spec, potentially non-portable.

J.Pietschmann

Re: PDF/X and CMYK respectively

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
This is not implemented. By the number of times this has come up by now,
one would think there are people around who would actually start
implementing these missing features. Sounds like the pain is not big
enough, yet. :-)

On 04.10.2005 13:31:44 Dominic.Mainz wrote:
> Hello, FOP world!
>
> Currently I am deciding wether to use Cocoon or the PDFLib to produce PDF
> documents over a web application. A very important question for me is the
> following: Can I produce PDF/X compatible files or is there another way to get
> CMYK colour schemes in PDF documents with Cocoon in association with FOP?
>
> In the hope that someone here is able to help me,
>
> Greetings and Good Byte

Jeremias Maerki