Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/12/09 20:17:56 UTC

Setting up an official Slack domain for openwhisk

Many of our developers are reliant upon Slack communications, in the open
this is primarily under the dwOpen Team (especially for API Gateway work).
 As we want to try to move over existing message-based team communication
to the Apache community, we wish to preserve Slack as a mainstream
utility.  How do we do this?

I see that there is a precedent for the Mesos project to have a Slack
domain:
http://mesos.apache.org/community/

specifically: https://mesos.slack.com/

This site leverages existing User IDs from @apache.org, @ibm.com, etc. The
text in the login screen includes the following:

"If you have an @apache.org, @ibm.com, @cn.ibm.com, @us.ibm.com,
@apple.com, @mesosphere.com, @mesosphere.io, @microsoft.com, @uber.com,
@nvidia.com, @projectcalico.org, @metaswitch.com, @emc.com or
@mojotech.com email address, you can create an account."

How do we go about setting something up like this for OpenWhisk with these
additional domain-based account requirements?

Kind regards,
Matt Rutkowski

STSM, Master Inventor, IBM Open Cloud Technologies and Standards
Apache OpenWhisk Incubator, Initial Committer
Chair, Lead Editor OASIS TOSCA Simple Profile WG,
Co-Chair OASIS TOSCA Interop. SC,
Founder of DMTF Cloud Audit (CADF) Standard
mrutkows@us.ibm.com,  mobile: 512-431-5002

Re: Setting up an official Slack domain for openwhisk

Posted by Jeremias Werner <je...@gmail.com>.
sweet, works like a charm!

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Very nice Carlos.

You can close this now https://github.com/openwhisk/openwhisk/issues/1538 :)

Make it available on our main repo page?

-r

Re: Setting up an official Slack domain for openwhisk

Posted by Michael M Behrendt <Mi...@de.ibm.com>.
Very nice! Thx a lot, Carlos

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I can't help for the technical side of this, just commenting on the
community aspects.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ... As we want to try to move over existing message-based team communication
> to the Apache community, we wish to preserve Slack as a mainstream
> utility....

Using chat channels as a utility, as you mention, is ok but the ASF's
rule that "if it didn't happen on the dev list it didn't happen" is
not optional, so IMO before supporting such channels we need to
clarify their role.

All project decisions and the important discussions that lead to those
decisions must happen on the project's dev list, to allow someone to
be fully involved in the project without necessarily subscribing to
additional channels.

I think considering those channels as the equivalent of coffee machine
discussions works: it's great to have those discussions when you can
but they are not part of the project's business. And their synchronous
nature is a barrier to the wide and thoughtful participation that you
want in an ASF project.

So I think OpenWhisk initial committers (and later PMC members) must
be willing to be careful about this and gently redirect all
"important" discussions here, for this initiative to get official
support.

-Bertrand (happy to elaborate on the reasons for this if needed, it's
not just based on being an old fart ;-)