Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Mullane, Sean *HS" <SP...@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu> on 2021/03/01 16:19:09 UTC

RE: 4.0.0.1 patch [EXTERNAL]

Sean,

You're right that CuiFilterAnnotator is a custom annotator. It looks like I will need to merge the auth changes from 4.0.0.1 into our branch and recompile.

Thanks,
Sean

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Peter,

I am not sure that I completely understand your question, but
> if I were to create a maven submodule with my permissions
Are you talking about your Apache checkin permissions?
If so, I should modify my previous statements:

I usually keep all custom code in a separate >local< maven submodule >in my local ctakes root directory< ...
and just throw that module reference into the >my local< main ctakes pom >in my local ctakes root directory<

I do not add the local submodule in my version control system and I make sure that I never check in my main.pom file.
If you do use a local corporate etc. vcs system then you need to add just the local submodule to that system and do checkins separately.

Another thing that I do that I should have mentioned is that if my custom project is large then it has its own main pom and just uses certain ctakes modules as dependencies.  I only use the personal local submodule method if I am trying something new that requires little code; playing in the sandbox.
Is this what you are asking about with
> I'm never quite sure when/how to let maven access outside repositories.

It can get quite verbose, but can be done without inconsistent builds (or becoming cephalopodal).  I use maven exclude statements.

For instance, a common one for me is to include the dictionary lookup module in my project but not bother to download the dictionary as I have my own custom dictionary:
      <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
         <artifactId>ctakes-dictionary-lookup-fast</artifactId>
         <version>${ctakes.version}</version>
         <exclusions>
            <!--  We do not want the standard ctakes dictionary  -->
            <exclusion>
               <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
               <artifactId>ctakes-dictionary-lookup-fast-res</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
         </exclusions>
      </dependency>

To use local versions of lucene or just dismiss it entirely, my custom full-project main pom includes the dependency on ctakes-utils but excludes all things lucene:
      <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
         <artifactId>ctakes-utils</artifactId>
         <version>${ctakes.version}</version>
         <exclusions>
            <exclusion>
               <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
               <artifactId>lucene-core</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
            <exclusion>
               <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
               <artifactId>lucene-queries</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
            <exclusion>
               <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
               <artifactId>lucene-queryparser</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
            <exclusion>
               <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
               <artifactId>lucene-analyzers-common</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
         </exclusions>
      </dependency>

One thing that I do if I am using ctakes trunk modules as dependencies is put the specific snapshot repository in my local pom.  Otherwise it may not find things:
   <repositories>
      <repository>
         <id>apache.snapshots</id>
         <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
         <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/</url>
         <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
         </releases>
         <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
         </snapshots>
      </repository>
    </repositories>

If I have custom types I add the jcasgen plugin.  Usually I try to avoid adding types but if I do:
   <build>
         <plugins>
            <plugin>
               <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
               <artifactId>jcasgen-maven-plugin</artifactId>
               <version>2.9.0</version>
               <executions>
                  <execution>
                     <configuration>
                        <typeSystemIncludes>
                           <typeSystemInclude>src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/**/types/TypeSystem.xml</typeSystemInclude>
                        </typeSystemIncludes>
                        <limitToProject>true</limitToProject>
                     </configuration>
                  </execution>
               </executions>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
   </build>

One huge advantage to just having your own main project and using ctakes (trunk) modules as dependencies is that every time you clean compile you get the latest updates.
Other advantages are: custom binary build configuration, your own manageable multi-module pom, smaller binary/distributable footprint, simple version control for your code, smaller project tree in your ide, etc.

Let me know if I completely missed your point / question.

Sean

Posted by Peter Abramowitsch <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

Re: 4.0.0.1 patch [EXTERNAL]