Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Steve Westwood <st...@hexsaw.org.uk> on 2013/03/16 16:19:24 UTC

[All] Java coding standards

I am looking to undertake some work on commons-chain, but would prefer any
work I contribute to adhere to acceptable Apache conventions. Scanning
through various ASF projects, it appears as if conventions are enforced on a
per-project basis. Looking through the chains site, I cannot see any coding
standards listed. Is there a guide I can reference for any Java work I
undertake? Also, is there an acceptable ASF Eclipse IDE code formatter file
(xml) that I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Westwood

Re: [All] Java coding standards

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Steve,

> Looking through the chains site, I cannot see any coding
> standards listed. Is there a guide I can reference for any Java work I
> undertake? Also, is there an acceptable ASF Eclipse IDE code formatter file
> (xml) that I can use?

Did you have a look at the chain parent pom? It refers to a shared
checkstyle configuration[1] across all chain modules.

About the IDE, it is basically the default Eclipse configuration with
some exceptions, such as not tabs, 102char per column, ...
No XML config per IDE ATM, unfortunateluy - just run `mvn site` and
have a look at checkstyle report...

HTH,
-Simo

[1] http://s.apache.org/EhZ

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Hi Steve,

Le 16/03/2013 16:19, Steve Westwood a écrit :
> I am looking to undertake some work on commons-chain, but would prefer any
> work I contribute to adhere to acceptable Apache conventions. Scanning
> through various ASF projects, it appears as if conventions are enforced on a
> per-project basis. Looking through the chains site, I cannot see any coding
> standards listed. Is there a guide I can reference for any Java work I
> undertake? Also, is there an acceptable ASF Eclipse IDE code formatter file
> (xml) that I can use?

The file some people use on [math] and [nabla] (perhaps maybe other) is
available here: <http://people.apache.org/~luc/Apache-commons.xml>. I
don't know if it matches the coding style used in [chain].

best regards,
Luc