Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Vikas Mishra <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/09 09:41:57 UTC

Hello from a new contributor!

Hi all,
        I'm Vikas Mishra a undergrad student from India and I just wanted
to introduce myself to the community since I want to start contributing. I
have been contributing to many open source projects and most of them have
been in Python but I don't mind working in Java as well.  I was also a
Google Summer of Code 2014 student for OSGeo, but I have always wanted to
try my hands on Big data/Data science and have been reading about projects
on the same, and came to know about Flink/Stratosphere. I liked it a lot
and would now love to start contributing to the project.

It would really help a lot if anyone of the developers can mentor me and
point me to some HOWTO's or getting started pages and suggest some first
bug for me to start.

I hope to meet some really great people here and am looking forward to a
great learning experience here at Flink.

Vikas Mishra
MSc(Hons) Economics + B.E. Electronics and Electrical Engineering
*Birla Institute of Technology & Science,* Pilani
KK Birla Goa Campus
8412898899|vikasmishra95@gmail.com

Re: Hello from a new contributor!

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Hey Vikas! Welcome to the community :-)

I would suggest the following: have a look at the how to contribute guide
on the webpage and familiarize yourself with the user-facing APIs (i.e. the
examples). I think these two points will be a good general intro.

Also have a look at the our JIRA. We have tagged the system components.
Have a look and figure out which componts interest you the most. This will
make it easier to find issues matching your interests.

– Ufuk

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Vikas,

welcome to the Flink project. It's great to hear that you want to get
involved in the Flink project. It's a good choice. First of all, I'd
recommend you to read the how to contribute guide [1]. The basic steps of
how to setup git and how to contribute code to the community are described.
Afterwards, you'll find possible starter issues in [2]. These starter
issues are a good way to familiarise yourself with the system and to get
ready to tackle bigger issues later on. You can also follow the dev mailing
list where all bigger issues are discussed.

[1] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-992?jql=project%20%3D%20FLINK%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20starter%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)

Best regards,