Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Kostas Kloudas <k....@data-artisans.com> on 2017/05/04 15:29:28 UTC

Re: OperatorState partioning when recovering from failure

Hi Seth,

Upon restoring, splits will be re-shuffled among the new tasks, and I believe that state is repartitioned
in a round robin way (although I am not 100% sure so I am also including Stefan and Aljoscha in this).
The priority queues will be reconstructed based on the restored elements. So task managers may get
a relatively equal number of splits, but “recent” ones may be concentrated on a few nodes. This may
also have to do with how your monitor sends them to the reader (e.g. all splits of a recent file go to the
same node).

As far as I know, we do not have an option for custom state re-partitioner.

To see what is restored, you can enable DEBUG logging and this will print upon restoring sth like:

"ContinuousFileReaderOperator (taskIdx={subtaskIdx}) restored {restoredReaderState}"

with the restoredReaderState containing the restored splits.

And something similar upon checkpointing. This will give you a better look in what may be happening.

Thanks,
Kostas

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

the repartitoning happens indeed as some round-robin algorithm (see RoundRobinOperatorStateRepartitioner). This repartitioning happens at the level of the checkpoint coordinator in the master on restore, by redistrubution of state handles. The state that those handles are pointing to is a black box in this place, so all assumptions that we can make is that all partitions can be redistributed freely. If we want additional constraints to the repartitioning, the user has to apply those when handing over the state partitions, i.e. the partitioning into the list state must happen in a way that already groups together state partitions that should not end up on separate machines after a restore.

Best,
Stefan