Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2000/11/12 04:17:22 UTC

RE: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Thu Feb 17 07:45:04 EST 2000

We are considering that patch...

while it will not be implemented in 1.3.15 (the stable tree), I will
look at committing this for 2.0a8 next Monday or Tuesday.  As I noted
when you submitted it, it's a great idea, it's also useful to allow
the installer to choose between auto and manual startup.  We also have
to revisit dependencies, seeing as the dns resolver isn't starting
completely prior to booting (a number of users are reporting automatic
vhost identification problems at boot time.)

You can also expect an apache -k reconfig option to allow you to
effectively 'reinstall' a service without the -k uninstall/-k install
sequence, and this will allow a user to quickly change the user or the
config file from the command line.

The only exception I took from your patch was the password arg... this
will not be added, since it would then be cached in the command history
(and this is a very bad thing, IMHO.)  We will be calling out to the
console window with a prompt to 'Enter password for user foo:' as you
install the service as user foo.

Again, thanks for the patch, look forward to it in the next 2.0 beta.

Bill