Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Matt Hughes <hu...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/31 16:38:00 UTC

Editing SDK within Flash Builder

Is there some guide for editing SDK classes within Flash Builder?

I have installed Flex 4.9 and have also downloaded the source.  I tried
just removing the mx.swc and framework.swc from the Build Path Libraries
and then adding the respective src folders.  That seems to get me closer,
but now I have lots of errors because I don't have the config variable:

CONFIG::performanceInstrumentation

defined.  I'm trying to investigate a possible bug in the SDK while running
a small test project.  I'd like to make changes to some SDK classes and see
if that resolves my problem.  I couldn't find any guides on the main Flex
page or on the Apache Flex wiki on getting this set up.

Re: Editing SDK within Flash Builder

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Honestly, I don't know for sure, I don't use FB for SDK development.  Other
engineers did, but they were always complaining about FB breaking.  One of
the reasons for that was that Adobe was always developing FB and the SDK in
parallel.  That isn't the case now, so it might be more manageable, but I
have my non-FB workflow that I'm happy with.

That said, I believe those engineers would create a new workspace and import
the entire frameworks/projects folder.

HTH,
-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Editing SDK within Flash Builder

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 1/2/13 10 :16AM, "Matt Hughes" <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I did add the variable in the compiler options.  That got things
>compiling,
>but then I was missing assets.  I added the source file for the *binary*
>distribution (for some reason, they aren't in the source distribution).
> That got me past that hurdle.  But then when I ran, the CSS files were
>missing...
>
>There has to be some defined way of doing thisŠ I can't believe every
>Apache and Adobe contributor just muddles their way through this.  Isn't
>their some Ant task or some script that just sets up your Flash Builder
>project to use the source of a particular Flex SDK?  This is critical to
>having community participation.

If you have a built source tree you can cd to ide/flashbuilder and run
"ant make-sdk".

In FlashBuilder, for your project, set your SDK to this directory.  Then
go to File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects Into Workspace and
use the frameworks/projects directory as the root directory and look for
projects.  You can include any of these projects.  I usually include
frameworks, mx, spark and textLayout which covers the majority of my
development.  Then for your projects Properties -> Flex Build Path add
each of these projects.

There are a few frameworks/projects directories which don't have
FlashBuilder directories.

Note that your source tree will be "polluted" since
flex-config/air-config/airmobile-config.xml will be modified for
FlashBuilder.

Carol

Posted by Matt Hughes <hu...@gmail.com>.
I did add the variable in the compiler options.  That got things compiling,
but then I was missing assets.  I added the source file for the *binary*
distribution (for some reason, they aren't in the source distribution).
 That got me past that hurdle.  But then when I ran, the CSS files were
missing...

There has to be some defined way of doing this… I can't believe every

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.