Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Site Guo <gu...@hotmail.com> on 2013/04/02 15:52:08 UTC

Question about ARQ, TDB and SDB

Hi, everyone
         I got a simple question as a Jena learner: What's the relationship between ARQ, TDB and SDB?
         Through reading the documentations, my current understanding is like this:

1. ARQ is a SPARQL query engine which parses and optimizes queries.
2. TDB and SDB are two different implementation methodology of the RDF store. TDB uses a native No SQL database while SDB support multiple existing relational databases.
3. ARQ has the same interface to both TDB and SDB. In respect to Java API, TDB and SDB use different methods to manage the store connections  and authentications but that's like their only difference. Other than that, ARQ uses exactly the same API methods to handle Datasets to both of them.

Could anyone kindly confirms or corrects my understanding please?

Site (Victor) Guo

Re: Question about ARQ, TDB and SDB

Posted by Dominique Brezinski <do...@gmail.com>.
I am no expert, but from reading through the code I would say yes, your understanding is correct. SDB and TDB encapsulate the logic to take the query from ARQ and translate it to what is optimal for the underlying data store. In the case of SDB, that means translating the query to a series of SQL queries.

Dom

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 02/04/13 14:52, Site Guo wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>           I got a simple question as a Jena learner: What's the relationship between ARQ, TDB and SDB?
>           Through reading the documentations, my current understanding is like this:
>
> 1. ARQ is a SPARQL query engine which parses and optimizes queries.
> 2. TDB and SDB are two different implementation methodology of the RDF store. TDB uses a native No SQL database while SDB support multiple existing relational databases.
> 3. ARQ has the same interface to both TDB and SDB. In respect to Java API, TDB and SDB use different methods to manage the store connections  and authentications but that's like their only difference. Other than that, ARQ uses exactly the same API methods to handle Datasets to both of them.
>
> Could anyone kindly confirms or corrects my understanding please?

Yes, that's about right.

The only thing I would add is that ARQ also performs complete query
processing for memory based models. ARQ is an integral part of Jena.

Dave