Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by kintaroju <jo...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/20 21:10:19 UTC

How to Troubleshoot loading Extensions? eg Duo

Hi,

I recently got my Guacamole install working with 0.9.13-incubating, and the
only issue I have at the moment is to get the Duo extension to load. I've
checked the /var/log/messages, and the tomcat logs but unfortunately i came
up empty handed.

I've made sure that the guacamole.properties that the duo parameters were
configured.

So at the moment I am not sure where else i can troubleshoot to make it
work. Using CentOS 7 current build at the moment.

Cheers,
Jon

Re: How to Troubleshoot loading Extensions? eg Duo

Posted by kintaroju <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, this is funny but i rebooted the server after opening the permissions on
the files and now the Duo module works like a charm.

The only concern now is why the logging function isn't working if you can
provide some pointers that would be great.

Re: How to Troubleshoot loading Extensions? eg Duo

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 8:57 PM kintaroju <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i did make sure it is the duo extension that is based on 0.9.13, and placed
> the extension in mulitple locations:
>
> /var/lib/guacamole/extensions
> /etc/guacamole/extensions
>
> Also the way i installed it was from this project:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/guacamoleinstallscript/
>
> Unfortunately it didn't pickup duo extension for some strange reason.

This script is not officially associated with nor maintained by the
Guacamole project.  That's probably why it didn't pick up the Duo module,
but it's hard to say.

> Also
> when i created the logback.xml in /etc/guacamole or /var/lib/guacamole
> nothing happened on the console when i restarted the guacd service. The
> default logback file i used was part of that doc link you sent:

In version 0.9.13-incubating, the default GUACAMOLE_HOME directory is the
.guacamole folder inside the home directory of the user running Tomcat.  I
doubt that's /var/lib/guacamole, so you might need to track that down and
create the .guacamole folder, and place that file there.  This behavior
changed in 0.9.14, where it looks for several locations, including
/etc/guacamole in addition to the one mentioned above.

-Nick

Re: How to Troubleshoot loading Extensions? eg Duo

Posted by kintaroju <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

i did make sure it is the duo extension that is based on 0.9.13, and placed
the extension in mulitple locations:

/var/lib/guacamole/extensions
/etc/guacamole/extensions

Also the way i installed it was from this project:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/guacamoleinstallscript/

Unfortunately it didn't pickup duo extension for some strange reason. Also
when i created the logback.xml in /etc/guacamole or /var/lib/guacamole
nothing happened on the console when i restarted the guacd service. The
default logback file i used was part of that doc link you sent:

<configuration>

    <appender name="GUAC-DEBUG" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
        <encoder>
            <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} -
%msg%n</pattern>
        </encoder>
    </appender>

    <root level="debug">
        <appender-ref ref="GUAC-DEBUG"/>
    </root>

</configuration>

Re: How to Troubleshoot loading Extensions? eg Duo

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 5:10 PM kintaroju <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently got my Guacamole install working with 0.9.13-incubating, and the
> only issue I have at the moment is to get the Duo extension to load. I've
> checked the /var/log/messages, and the tomcat logs but unfortunately i came
> up empty handed.

How are you installing the extension?  When you say you've just got it
running, are you using other extensions (JDBC, for example), or just the
built-in XML file authentication?

The Tomcat logs are definitely what you want.  Depending on how you're
running Tomcat (installed via package, or direct download), those logs may
be located in one of several different places, or integrated into Syslog.
I tend to not use the package install in CentOS because it's pretty old - I
usually download and extract it to a different location and just run it
from there.  However, you want to be looking at the "catalina.out" file, or
whatever the equivalent is for how logging is configured for your
particular Tomcat instance.

When you say you've come up empty handed, what do you mean?  Do you see any
of the messages about the load process?  Or none at all?

Once you determine where the correct logs are you can put Guacamole Client
into Debug mode.  This is covered in the Configuring Guacamole chapter:

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#webapp-logging

That should give you some more verbose logging and help you track down the
issue.

One other note - make sure the components are the same version.  If you've
just got 0.9.13-incubating running, then make sure your Duo extension is
also 0.9.13-incubating.

-Nick