Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/03 04:24:58 UTC

website "ui updates" ?

An utterly useless observation I know, but are you guys "trying" to make the
site look worse on purpose?

Compare: http://maven.apache.org

Duplicate of (original maven theme): http://tapestry.apache.org

Just thought I'd say something cause it was so noticeable..

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: website "ui updates" ?

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

Good stuff :o)

Some general comments:
- IMHO, the array "Get Maven 2.0.4" on the front page is too squeeze
- the issue tracking page MPA is not really useful from an user point of view
- CI page needs to be reviewed
- I dont like "Index (category)" in the doc but I have no suggestion ;)

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: website "ui updates" ?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/11/2006, at 7:11 AM, Eric Redmond wrote:

> The VM changes (which are just the menu expansion) are not related
> to the
> CSS.

Cool, for some reason I was having troubles getting them working, and
I'd made some more recent fixes to the doxia-site-renderer vm, but
they should be easy to roll back into that code now.

> - merged my changes from the branch. Eric and I were converging on
>> fair similar concepts for the navigation so I've merged them. Feel
>> free to discuss moving them around some more.
>

> I like the menu. Sooo much easier to navigate. I like the "Maven
> Projects"
> links. But I still prefer to push the "about" and "download" closer
> to the
> end. I still like ant's menu order, from a high level:
> http://ant.apache.org/

Yes, I agree, thinking it through. We have the download and 'about/
what it is/why use it' at the top of the main page, so best to get
the important navigation to the top.

> Centre, eh? How Oxford :)

Oh, right :) I'll search and replace...

Thanks!
- Brett

Re: website "ui updates" ?

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
OK, OK, sheesh. I know when I've been licked.

On 11/3/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ok, I'm done. Sorry to be impatient, but I felt like I had unfinished
> business after creating that branch, and it is a Friday afternoon :)
>
> So, what I've done:
> - rolled back the CSS/site.vm changes. My suggestions for moving them
> both forward again are in the commit log (there's good stuff in
> there, especially the javascript menu expansion, but I think we need
> to be a bit more careful with the CSS given the backlash).

The VM changes (which are just the menu expansion) are not related to the
CSS.

- merged my changes from the branch. Eric and I were converging on
> fair similar concepts for the navigation so I've merged them. Feel
> free to discuss moving them around some more.

I like the menu. Sooo much easier to navigate. I like the "Maven Projects"
links. But I still prefer to push the "about" and "download" closer to the
end. I still like ant's menu order, from a high level:
http://ant.apache.org/

- applied my changes to the front page. I think this part is a vast
> improvement
> - put some very basic links into the 'documentation centres'. This
> needs more work in terms of trails to guide people through scenarios,
> and cookbooks.

Centre, eh? How Oxford :)

- deployed the site.

--