Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2018/05/14 09:07:39 UTC

Maven Doxia and minimum Java versions

Hi all,

I would like to clarify what the policy is on maven-doxia and the maven project in general, and minimum java versions.

With the XHTML5 work on Doxia, I have managed to keep all changes without a requirement to upgrade any dependencies, until I got to maven-doxia-sitetools and httpunit, which doesn’t understand any HTML5 tags. My current workaround is to simply test that HTML5 tags are present, but ignore their type, and this seems good enough for now - no httpunit upgrade needed.

Upgrading httpunit to a version that supports HTML5 and doesn’t suffer from bug https://sourceforge.net/p/htmlunit/bugs/1961/ means a minimum java version of v1.8.

What is the policy on java versions in maven-doxia? Is it intentionally kept behind the curve so old code can be built, or is it acceptable to make java 1.8 a minimum version?

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: Maven Doxia and minimum Java versions

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 14/05/18 13:46, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> Currently Maven core is 1.7 minimum...
>
> I'd like to bump that to 1.8... but that's another story

+1 from me for Maven Core to 1.8...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-05-14 um 13:46 schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> Currently Maven core is 1.7 minimum...
>
> I'd like to bump that to 1.8... but that's another story

By bumping I would require someone to make use of Java 8 features.
Otherwise it is a useless contraint for everyone out there.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Is httpunit a test dependency or not? If it is, then there's no issue.
Just ensure to run Maven with Java 8 and use animal-sniffer to verify if
the main code is still Java 7 compatible.

If we push this to Java 8, we must make it clear on the maven-site-plugin
docs that you need to run Maven with Java 8 to create HTML5 pages.

thanks,
Robert

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Newer JDKs? The new release argument of the java compiler was inspired by
Animal Sniffer. With JDK 9+ there's no reason to use Animal Sniffer, just
use the release option and you should be good.
In fact, if you want to make signatures for Java9+, you should make one
per module, and that's when it starts to get complicated.

thanks,
Robert

Posted by Chas Honton <ch...@honton.org>.
Answering my own question; it appears that you can use the animal sniffer plugin (https://www.mojohaus.org/animal-sniffer/animal-sniffer-maven-plugin/examples/generating-java-signatures.html)

Chas

Posted by Chas Honton <ch...@honton.org>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le mercredi 16 mai 2018, 00:06:43 CEST Gary Gregory a écrit :
> From a user's POV, what I care ATM is being able to build sites with Java 9
> so I can create searchable Javadoc pages...
I like this idea

IMHO, requiring higher Java version to build components is not an issue: what
is important is to avoid requiring such version for end users

build with Java 9 "-release 7" seems perfect
then being able to build and run maven-site-plugin with Java 7 only

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
From a user's POV, what I care ATM is being able to build sites with Java 9

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-05-19 um 09:08 schrieb Sylwester Lachiewicz:
> Hi,
> i checked doxia-sitetools code and looks it will be possible to replace
> httpunit with JSoup.
> We already use Jsoup in other places and only require Java 7.

This sounds really promising. I love JSoup, used it already several
times. How much is that, can you give an estimate?

Michael

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
i checked doxia-sitetools code and looks it will be possible to replace
httpunit with JSoup.
We already use Jsoup in other places and only require Java 7.

Sylwester

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-05-14 um 11:07 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to clarify what the policy is on maven-doxia and the maven project in general, and minimum java versions.
>
> With the XHTML5 work on Doxia, I have managed to keep all changes without a requirement to upgrade any dependencies, until I got to maven-doxia-sitetools and httpunit, which doesn’t understand any HTML5 tags. My current workaround is to simply test that HTML5 tags are present, but ignore their type, and this seems good enough for now - no httpunit upgrade needed.
>
> Upgrading httpunit to a version that supports HTML5 and doesn’t suffer from bug https://sourceforge.net/p/htmlunit/bugs/1961/ means a minimum java version of v1.8.
>
> What is the policy on java versions in maven-doxia? Is it intentionally kept behind the curve so old code can be built, or is it acceptable to make java 1.8 a minimum version?

I just checked HTMLUnit's code. They do really use lambda expressions.
So there is no downgrade option without a rewrite :-(

If it is test, I don't see an issue because the Doxia code can remain at
1.7. I can probably trick Enforcer or Animal Sniffer just for the test
scope.

Does this raise happen on a single Doxia module or in the entire Doxia
reactor? If it is just a runtime module that would be fine for the users.

I am reluctant to bump a baseline for just one dependency out of ten or
even more.

Michael