Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2019/08/20 15:15:11 UTC

2 ways to merge uimaj v2 and v3

svn copy from one repo to another doesn't preserve history.  So if I do things
with svn copy, that will lose history.

=============================

I have a confusion on the merge of uima v2 and v3 in git.  There's two ways:

   1) have one master, with folders v2/ and v3/, and lots of "duplicated" files
in each

   2) have two branches, master and 2.x, with the intent to never "merge" these
branches back together.

2) seems to be the direction others are taking.

The articles on how to merge multiple GIT repos - preserving history - all seem
to focus on 1).

Still looking for ways to do (2) with history preserved, advice appreciated :-).
-Marshall

Re: 2 ways to merge uimaj v2 and v3

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 20. Aug 2019, at 21:06, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> So, I think doing the svn copy of v2 into v3 as a new branch is the way to go.

... or copy v3 into a branch of v2 ;)

But anyway, you have already done it :P

-- Richard

Re: 2 ways to merge uimaj v2 and v3

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
A big error: although svn copy from one svn repo to another doesn't preserve
history,
it turns out our projects in the Apache SVN are all in on giant repository,
so that doing the svn copy does preserve history.

I can in fact go back in the history of some uima v3 files, and see the v2 history,
from before I made the v3 copy.

So, I think doing the svn copy of v2 into v3 as a new branch is the way to go.

Anyone agree/disagree? -Marshall