Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Hanselman <st...@brendata.co.uk> on 2011/06/08 10:25:36 UTC

[users@httpd] limit lower size for mod_deflate

Hi,

I've searched the archives and I can see that this was a request a few
years ago, is there way of achieving this on 2.2?

I'm using deflate to compress the data on ActiveSync connections, most
of the time on the small packets there is negative compression so I want
to avoid compressing these, however there are gains on the larger
packets.

I don't think there is a way of setting an environment variable based on
the content-length is there?

Regards

The information contained in this email is intended for the personal and confidential use
of the addressee only. It may also be privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient then you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, distribution or copying of this document is strictly prohibited. If you have
received  this communication in error, please notify Brendata immediately on:

+44 (0)1268 466100, or email 'technical@brendata.co.uk'

Brendata (UK) Ltd
Nevendon Hall, Nevendon Road, Basildon, Essex. SS13 1BX  UK
Registered Office as above. Registered in England No. 2764339

See our current vacancies at www.brendata.co.uk

Re: [users@httpd] limit lower size for mod_deflate

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Steve Hanselman <st...@brendata.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for that, I thought mod_gzip was discontinued since 1.3, I’d
> obviously misread that, I’ll give it a try.

You didn't misread, mod_gzip is for 1.3. Furthermore, mod_gzip buffers
the response before compressing (iirc), and that directive refers to
file size, not chunk size.

Cheers

Tom

RE: [users@httpd] limit lower size for mod_deflate

Posted by Steve Hanselman <st...@brendata.co.uk>.
Thanks for that, I thought mod_gzip was discontinued since 1.3, I'd
obviously misread that, I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Steve

________________________________

See our current vacancies at www.brendataco.uk

*******************************

This E-mail message and its attachments, if any are intended solely for
the use of the addressee hereof. In addition, this message and the
attachments, if any may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited from
reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating or
otherwise using this transmission.

Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient
is not intended to waive any right or privilege. If you have received
this message in error, please promptly notify the sender by reply E-mail
and immediately delete this message from your system. Instructions
transmitted over this system are not binding on us until they are
confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or
free of software virus. While Altisource Portfolio Solutions and its
subsidiaries collectively "Altisource" takes every reasonable precaution
to minimize such risks, Altisource cannot accept liability for any
damage sustained by you or any third party as a result of software
viruses.

*******************************

See our current vacancies at www.brendata.co.uk

RE: [users@httpd] limit lower size for mod_deflate

Posted by "Gulati, Sushant" <Su...@altisource.com>.
Hi Brendata,

_____________________

See our current vacancies at www.brendataco.uk

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
Hi Steve,

> Hi,
>

> I’ve searched the archives and I can see that this was a request a
> few years ago, is there way of achieving this on 2.2?
>

> I’m using deflate to compress the data on ActiveSync connections,
> most of the time on the small packets there is negative compression
> so I want to avoid compressing these, however there are gains on the
> larger packets.
>

> I don’t think there is a way of setting an environment variable based
> on the content-length is there?

2.3/2.4 has ap_expr which *could* be used for this purpose

FilterDeclare gzip CONTENT_SET
FilterProvider gzip inflate "%{CONTENT_LENGTH} <= 1024"
FilterChain gzip

However there *is* *no* such variable as CONTENT_LENGTH..

> Regards
>

> The information contained in this email is intended for the personal
> and confidential use
> of the addressee only. It may also be privileged information. If you
> are not the intended
> recipient then you are hereby notified that you have received this
> document in error and
> that any review, distribution or copying of this document is strictly
> prohibited. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify Brendata
> immediately on:
>
> +44 (0)1268 466100, or email 'technical@brendata.co.uk'

You're posting on a publicly archived mailing list, which is world-wide
mirrored.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883