Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/11/16 11:15:04 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons RDF 0.3.0-incubating

The Apache Commons RDF team is pleased to announce:

* Apache Commons RDF 0.3.0-incubating

Apache Commons RDF aims to provide a common Java API for RDF 1.1
graphs and datasets.

Commons RDF 0.3.0 adds API bindings for Apache Jena, Eclipse RDF4J,
JSON-LD Java as well as a standalone implementation.

This release also adds support for Quads, Datasets and generalized RDF.

Note that Commons RDF 0.3.0 adds an experimental RDFParser API which
is subject to change in the following releases; we welcome any
feedback and suggestions.

Commons RDF 0.3.0 is available from Maven Central and from:

https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/download

For documentation and more, see
https://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/

Apache Commons RDF is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache
Software Foundation (ASF) sponsored by the Apache Incubator PMC.
Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further
review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision
making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other
successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a
reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

sha1 checksums:
965cbbb52946ae9ba710ab19a8fb931fbfe65e7f
apache-commons-rdf-0.3.0-incubating-src.zip
9e08b3edcc633eb07a1c303b1939a0faaebb6c1f
apache-commons-rdf-0.3.0-incubating-src.tar.gz

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons RDF 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Agree that the announce emails need to be generic enough.

However I am not sure - if you don't know what RDF is, then you are
almost just as likely to not know what "Resource Description
Framework" is; as practically no-one uses this expansion anymore.

The Semanic Web community does however now often use the term "Linked
Data" to include the "http" aspect, which I think could be included in
our Commons RDF description - for instance you could in theory use
Commons RDF to parse (some) http://schema.org/ annotations from the
web - but that would also rely on the parser API which in this release
is currently marked as experimental.

If a developer already know one of popular Java frameworks for RDF,
Jena or RDF4J, and perhaps wish there was some interoperability level
beyond saving and loading RDF files or SPARQL servers, then I hope
they should be able to recognize that Commons RDF is an API that can
provide just that.

But we should also move on to target new RDF users who don't know what
Jena and RDF4J are - perhaps they are scared by their large APIs - and
that is exactly what Commons RDF is also trying to cover.

I am thinking in particular it could be useful to do some kind of RDF
introduction tutorial similar to
https://jena.apache.org/documentation/rdf/ using Commons RDF as API -
which would focus much less on the interoperability aspect.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Good heavens, sebb! Having a bad week?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.