Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ron Young <ro...@nscee.edu> on 2013/04/18 21:18:05 UTC

devcloud2/cloudmonkey: how to enable api discovery service?

Hi Everyone:

   NEWBIE alert.

   I have just started playing with the devcloud2 image and have a question
   regarding cloudmonkey...

   In the getting started section of the cloudmonkey document:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/cloudstack-cloudmonkey-cli.html#CloudStackcloudmonkeyCLI-Configuration

   It says to enter the "sync" command to discover and sync/pull latest apis.

   I get the following:

root@ron3:~# cloudmonkey
Welcome! Using `set` configure the necessary settings:
apikey asyncblock cache_file color history_file host log_file paramcompletion path port prompt protocol secretkey tabularize timeout
Config file: /root/.cloudmonkey/config
After setting up, run the `sync` command to sync apis

☁ Apache CloudStack 🐵 cloudmonkey 4.1.0-snapshot3. Type help or ? to list commands.

> set host 192.168.56.10
> set port 8080
> set apikey <<<<REMOVED>>>>
> set secretkey <<<<REMOVED>>>>
> sync
<urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>
Failed to sync apis, please check your config?
Note: `sync` requires api discovery service enabled on the CloudStack management server

  Question: how do I enable the discovery service?

  Using Devcloud2 environment
  Management server is ubuntu 12.04

  Trying additional commands inside of cloudmonkey all return the
  same error "urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused".

  thanks in advance

  -ron

Ron Young, Research Support Analyst
National Supercomputing Center for Energy and the Environment
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 454028, Las Vegas, NV 89154-4028
v (702) 895-4017 / f (702) 895-4156 / email: ron.young@nscee.edu

Re: devcloud2/cloudmonkey: how to enable api discovery service?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Ron Young <ro...@nscee.edu> wrote:

> Your message dated: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 06:39:06 +0530
> --------
> >
> > Hi Ron, the API discovery service requires CloudStack 4.1 or later.
> > cloudmonkey won't work with prev versions ie 4.0 and below. It's enabled
> by
> > default in 4.1 and master/4.2.
> > As a fail safe, all apis are precached so the cli should work.
> > Hope this helps. Cheers.
>
> Hi Rohit:
>
>    Thanks for the info... Does this mean that it will work if I "upgrade"
>    to the latest git tree inside of DevCloud2?
>
>    This is what I think I need to do this:
>
>    inside of Devcloud2:
>
>           (looking at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+on+master+branch#Howtobuildonmasterbranch-BuildingCloudStack
> )
>
>           cd /opt/cloudstack
>           git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack.git
>           cd cloudstack/scripts/vm/hypervisor/xenserver
>           wget http://download.cloud.com.s3.amazonaws.com/tools/vhd-util
>           cd /opt/cloudstack/cloudstack    # back to root of source tree
>           mvn clean install -P developer,systemvm
>           mvn -P developer -pl developer -Ddeploydb
>
>    Am I on the right track? Do I need to anything else?

Yes, this will work. Briefly, get 4.1 or master branch from CloudStack's
git repositories, build, deploydb and run!
After that use cloudmonkey with admin user (or any other user's) api and
secret keys which you can create from the UI, or in default settings,
change host port in cloudmonkey to 8096 (set port 8096) which does not
require any authentication.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Posted by Ron Young <ro...@nscee.edu>.