Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/05 20:30:50 UTC

hbase 0.90 or 0.92 in production environment?

Hi ,
  My congratulation about  0.90 release.

We are going to production and I have couple of questions:

1) We want to use multi column families bulk loading. The question is what
is the status of 0.92? Is it possible to use in production?

2) When do you plan to release 0.92 ?

3) Does upgrade from 0.90 to 0.92 has an issues? I mean in case we'll start
using 0.90 in production and after 0.92 will be released : in this case do
we need to change jar and configuration files or hbase tables data has to be
ported to 0.92 too?

Oleg.

Re: hbase 0.90 or 0.92 in production environment?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Adding to what Andrew says.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:
>> From: Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>
>
>> 1) We want to use multi column families bulk loading. The
>> question is what is the status of 0.92? Is it possible to
>> use in production?

You could apply https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1861 to
0.90.  I know of at least one install that has done this successfully
bulk loading high volume into HBase.

>> 3) Does upgrade from 0.90 to 0.92 has an issues? I mean in
>> case we'll start using 0.90 in production and after 0.92
>> will be released :
>
> It may not be necessary to perform a data migration step, but there is no guarantee of this.

Just to say that we'll do all we can to make it so there is no need of
a migration step upgrading.  If the data format changes, we'll do our
best to make HBase run with both old and new formats doing runtime
migration from the old to new form.  This is a goal.  If there is a
migration step, we'll have tested the migration before release (Reload
is not an option we can seriously entertain given we're trying to be
all about scaling).

That said, so far, I've not seen anything in 0.92 issues that would
require the running of a migration upgrading.

St.Ack

Re: hbase 0.90 or 0.92 in production environment?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>

> 1) We want to use multi column families bulk loading. The
> question is what is the status of 0.92? Is it possible to
> use in production?

The status of 0.92 is that it does not exist yet.

There has been recent talk of us putting out a developer preview release of 0.92 soon. This would be versioned 0.91.

> 2) When do you plan to release 0.92 ?

I would not expect a release of 0.92 before mid year.

I don't know how Stack et. al. feel about it but I don't see why not a 0.91 DR release could happen this month.

> 3) Does upgrade from 0.90 to 0.92 has an issues? I mean in
> case we'll start using 0.90 in production and after 0.92
> will be released :

The rule is:

   - Minor releases (e.g. 0.90.0 to 0.90.1) should not need data migration and can be upgraded via a rolling restart

   - Major releases (e.g. 0.90 to 0.92) may require data migration and may not be upgradeable via a rolling restart

> in this case do we need to change jar and configuration
> files

This will most likely be necessary.

> or hbase tables data has to be ported to 0.92 too?

It may not be necessary to perform a data migration step, but there is no guarantee of this.

Best regards,

   - Andy