Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by lucast <lu...@hotmail.com> on 2011/06/07 19:24:37 UTC

wicket-dnd not working on IE9 and only partially on IE8

Dear Forum,
Has any wicked-dnd user out there noticed that the functionality doesn't
work on IE9?
I have an implementation of wicket-dnd that I have used with repeating views
so that I can use it in tables and lists but while it works on firefox,
google chrome, even konkeror, it doesn't work at all on IE9.
On IE8, the drag functionality works but when dropping the object on a drop
area, it doesn't refresh the area to display the dropped object. I have to
refresh the page to see what I have dropped.

not even the examples page from wicket-dnd work (
http://wicket-dnd.appspot.com/ http://wicket-dnd.appspot.com/ ) on IE9.

I'm about 3 weeks away from making my system go live and this doesn't look
good.

I've tested my web app on Windows Vista using IE9 and IE8.

Any help will be, as always, much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Lucas

Re: wicket-dnd not working on IE9 and only partially on IE8

Posted by lucast <lu...@hotmail.com>.
Sven very kindly found the source of the problem.
The problem is that in my app I was using
<head>
          <wicket:link>
               <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" >
          </wicket:link>
</head>
with no closing tag. If I have had closing tag </link> then the problem
wouldn't have occurred.
Damn! I should have spotted this!
Thanks, Sven.

Posted by lucast <lu...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Sven,
Thanks for your reply.
I've tested wicket-dnd on windows Vista, using IE9 and that's when the
problem occurs.
The problem of the on drop functionality not displaying the object dropped,
described in my previous post occurs on IE8 under both windows vista and
windows xp. Wicket-dnd works fine in any other web browser I have tried.
As requested, here is the version I am using of wicket-dnd, extracted from
my pom file:
<dependency>
			<groupId>wicket-dnd</groupId>
			<artifactId>wicket-dnd</artifactId>
			<version>0.4-SNAPSHOT</version>
			<scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>
On repository section I have the following:
<repository>
            <id>wicket-dnd</id>
            <name>Wicket-dnd Repository</name>
            <url>http://wicket-dnd.googlecode.com/svn/repo</url>
</repository>

I will try to recreate the problem described above in a simple example, once
I know what triggers it.
I don't want to speculate as to the cause. All I can say is that it's the
way I make use of wicket-dnd that causes this. So it must be the way I coded
repeating views or something like that.
I'll post my code as soon as I get the chance.
Thanks, once more,

Posted by lucast <lu...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Sven,
I'm trying to build a standalone example of the error I am experiencing on
IE8, but in the meantime, I thought about posting the html produced on both
IE8 (where I'm experiencing the problem) and on Firefox (where there is no
problem).
I'll attach as text file so it doesn't clutter up this post.
I'm implementing wicket-dnd on a table, and the html produced in IE8  has
javascript functions and is a lot more verbose than on firefox. I am not
sure if you'd be able to understand why it is producing that.
I'll keep working on the standalone example in the meantime.
Thanks,
Lucas
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/file/n3582180/wicket-dnd_tableCell_IE8.txt
wicket-dnd_tableCell_IE8.txt
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/file/n3582180/wicket-dnd_tableCell_Firefox.txt

Posted by Iain Reddick <ia...@beatsystems.com>.
Without looking at the implementation, to see if the styling is causing an issue:

1) Delete all style declarations from the css file (i.e. blank it)

2) See if the issue persists - in which case it's probably something else

3) Add your style declarations back one at a time to the css file to see which one causes the problem

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi Lucas,

wicket-dnd is working fine here with IE8. In case this isn't clear yet,
you have to update the changed components by yourself via
AjaxReqestTarget#addComponent().

I'll have to look for system with IE9 to check the functionality (I'm
not yet on windows seven), so this might take some time.

Perhaps it's an incompatibility with prototype?

	http://www.google.com/search?q=prototype+ie9

BTW which version (wicket / wicket-dnd) are you using?

Hope this helps

Sven