Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/22 12:50:44 UTC

Draft OASIS spec for binding.http

A draft spec for an HTTP binding has been posted to the OASIS bindings
mailing list -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200810/msg00078.html

It has some interesting things such as using the new wireFormat element and
the suggestion that you could extend that for atom and json support. I'm
interested in doing an implementation of this spec, anyone interested in
helping?

   ...ant

Re: Draft OASIS spec for binding.http

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
ant elder wrote:

> +1 to that, implementing specs while they're being drafted at OASIS and
> giving feedback to the spec guys is something we supposed to be doing
> isn't it?
>
>    ...ant

Folks,

Yes, absolutely.

A good cooperative approach.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: Draft OASIS spec for binding.http

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
The OASIS bindings TC has now agreed to work on a binding.http
specification, and an initial spec draft is available, see:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-bindings/200811/msg00054.html

   ...ant

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Excellent, thanks Dan.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've not read the OSOA HTTP binding spec, but I do have some Tuscany
> experience with the HTTP and Atom bindings. I am especially interested in
> their support for caching and conditional commands.
>
> I gladly would like to help out on this one.
>

> Simon Laws wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I briefly read the draft. My impression is that it tries to come up some
>>> sort of poor-man's Web Service support over HTTP using RPC style
>>> (tunneling
>>> the invocations over HTTP). What are the advantages over SOAP/HTTP or
>>> JSONRPC/HTTP? I'm wondering if it would be better to focus on the REST
>>> style
>>> by mapping HTTP methods into a set of business operations that deal with
>>> resources.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Raymond

Sounds good Dan. I should point out that, in my previous post, I wasn't
suggesting that we should wait until someone asks us for this. I was trying
to say it's often an advantage to have several different approaches. Gives
us a wide view on what works and what doesn't

Simon

Re: Draft OASIS spec for binding.http

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.

--