Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Matt Brown <ma...@avolent.com> on 2001/03/19 08:28:38 UTC

xlink support thoughts

I've been looking at adding basic XLink support to Xerces 1.3.x. I
understand that Xerces does not currently have any XLink support. I haven't
read anything about plans for it in the future. Since I could use it now,
I'm looking at implementing at least simple XLink support.

I've poked around the source and it looks like there are a number of ways to
approach this. Given that I'm new to Xerces, I thought it would be a good
idea (i.e. save blood, sweat, and tears) to ask a few questions:

(please excuse any serious foot-in-mouth questions)

+ Does it even make sense for Xerces to have built-in XLink support? From
what I've read, I think so. Obviously there are certain features in the
XLink specification that wouldn't necessarily make sense from a parser
standpoint. I am specifically interested in starting with "simple" XLinks
(type=simple) that embed remote resources (show=embed, actuate=onLoad) in
the local document.

+ Has any work on XLink support started? Would I be wasting my time with
this project?

+ If XLink support in Xerces makes sense, do any of Xerces' primary
developers have thoughts on where in Xerces would be the proper place to
hook in XLink support?

Thanks for your time and response.

matt