Posted to user@ant.apache.org by xsli2 <xs...@yahoo.com> on 2012/01/11 21:05:56 UTC

One Ant buildfile calling its subdir buildfile, how to change the base dir?

After some investigation, I would like to re-phrase my question. Here are my
files:

main/build.xml containing a target invoking a target in sub directory

	<target name="test-sub">
		<echo message="main base dir=${basedir}" />

		<ant dir="./sub" inheritall="false" target="MyTest"/>

		<subant target="MyTest" genericantfile="sub/build.xml">
			<dirset dir="." includes="sub" />
		</subant>
	</target>

main/sub/build.xml --> containing a target "MyTest" running a JUnit test --
calling A.B.C.MyTest class

        <echo message="sub base dir=${basedir}" />
	<target name="MyTest">
	    <junit>
	      <classpath refid="project.classpath" />
	      <formatter type="brief" usefile="false" />
	      <test name="A.B.C.MyTest" />
	    </junit>
	</target>
Inside MyTest.java, I added this print out:
        final String currentDir = new File(".").getAbsolutePath();
        System.out.println("currentDir=" + currentDir);

Running the target MyTest at main/sub is *fine*, with these printout:

     [echo] sub base dir=/xxx/xx/main/sub

MyTest:
    [junit] currentDir=/xxx/xx/main/sub/. <------The printout in MyTest
shows that it is run at main/sub, so inside MyTest, a relative path is
correct

Running the target test-sub at main is *bad*, with these printout:
test-sub:
     [echo] main base dir=/xxx/xx/main
     [echo] sub base dir=/xxx/xx/main/sub/. <--- the echo from sub/build.xml
shows that the base dir is already main/sub, not main/, however, MyTest is
still run at main/, not main/sub

MyTest:
    [junit] currentDir=/xxx/xx/main/.  <------The printout in MyTest shows
that it is still be run at main/, not main/sub, so inside MyTest, a relative
path becomes invalid

Thank you very much.

Re: One Ant buildfile calling its subdir buildfile, how to change the base dir?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-01-11, xsli2 wrote:

>         <echo message="sub base dir=${basedir}" />
> 	<target name="MyTest">
> 	    <junit>
> 	      <classpath refid="project.classpath" />
> 	      <formatter type="brief" usefile="false" />
> 	      <test name="A.B.C.MyTest" />
> 	    </junit>
> 	</target>
> Inside MyTest.java, I added this print out:
>         final String currentDir = new File(".").getAbsolutePath();
>         System.out.println("currentDir=" + currentDir);

Ant's basedir and the running Java process' current working directory
are not the same thing.  When you use an <ant> task you only change the
basedir but not the current working directory.  To do that, you'd have
to fork the Java/JUnit process so it is running in a fresh Java VM.

Stefan