Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Robert Nettleton <rn...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/06/05 17:35:49 UTC

Ambari 2.1 branch created

Hi developers and PMCs,

I’ve pushed the initial changes to create the Ambari 2.1 branch: “branch-2.1”.

This branch naming scheme is somewhat different than previous releases.  This was done to facilitate building maintenance releases on top of this branch, rather than branching separately for these subsequent releases.

The overall build in the branch seems to be working properly.  There is a test failure in ambari-server in the Python unit tests.  I believe this was an existing failure carried over from trunk.  From what I can tell most test suites are building and passing properly.  I’ve included the failure below, so that the developers in this area can work on a fix to resolve this.

Now that the branch is created, we (i.e., development community) should only accept blocker or critical bug fixes into the branch and harden it until it meets a high enough quality bar.

If you have a bug fix, it should first be committed to trunk, and after ensuring that it does not break any tests (including smoke tests), then it should be integrated to the Ambari branch-2.1.

If you have any doubts whether a fix should be committed into branch-2.1, please email me for input at rnettleton@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>.

Thanks,
Bob Nettleton

Here is the error I’m seeing in ambari-server unit tests:

Failed tests:
FAIL: test_socket_timeout (test_hive_server.TestHiveServer)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/rnettleton/dev/releases/ambari/ambari-common/src/test/python/mock/mock.py", line 1199, in patched
    return func(*args, **keywargs)
  File "/Users/rnettleton/dev/releases/ambari/ambari-server/src/test/python/stacks/2.0.6/HIVE/test_hive_server.py", \
line 654, in test_socket_timeout
    self.assert_configure_default()
  File "/Users/rnettleton/dev/releases/ambari/ambari-server/src/test/python/stacks/2.0.6/HIVE/test_hive_server.py", \
line 315, in assert_configure_default
    mode = 0777,
  File "/Users/rnettleton/dev/releases/ambari/ambari-server/src/test/python/stacks/utils/RMFTestCase.py", line 229, \
in assertResourceCalled
    self.assertNotEqual(len(RMFTestCase.env.resource_list), 0, "There was no more resources executed!")
AssertionError: There was no more resources executed!

Total run:751
Total errors:0
Total failures:1

Re: Ambari 2.1 branch created

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Bob.

So far, I have noticed ~4 commits that are missing in 2.1.
If a JIRA is being resolved for 2.1, while resolving can you specify which branches the changes are being committed to. This generally helps as a reminder and will help identify if the commit should be in both 2.1 and trunk.

thanks
Sumit