Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/01 17:20:01 UTC

Re: [osgi] package org.apache.wicket.request exported either from core and request packages

I'm not a gradle expert which is why I had to try this and that. But
my initial tests to create the ueber jars have now been successful.

-Juergen

Posted by Attila Király <ki...@gmail.com>.
You may want to look at Eike Kettner's work. A few days ago he contributed a
new wicketstuff module, named wicket-bundle, for osgi users [1] & [2].

[1] https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/pull/27
<https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/pull/27>[2]
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.5-parent/wicket-bundle-parent

<https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.5-parent/wicket-bundle-parent>
Attila

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org> wrote:
> I'm kind of coming in on this late, but wanted to offer a few observations.
>
> Firstly, I would imagine there is more suppressed demand for OSGi in Wicket than there was total demand for portlets.
Negative. For Portlets they were ~10. Now you are the 4th user for the
last year or two mentioning OSGi in the mailing lists :-)
Well, maybe there are more but just 4 of you started experimenting with 1.5.

>Myself and few others started looking at using OSGi with Brix for purposes of plugins, which would be really helpful because the CMS could be upgraded without restarting it.  I don't expect Brix to deal with packaging issues, but the whole classloader thing was a big distraction for a project that is focused on serving pages.
>
> OSGi is *sometimes* a solution in search of a problem, but evaluators sometimes consider this kind of functionality as a "safety net" to get out of situations that get created in team environments or through organic growth, and it has to be available before people can start using it.  There's no way that a team with a legacy application can port their company's golden goose to Wicket 1.(x+1) just to get out of a pinch that is being caused by whatever issue is at hand, but if it exists and at least works without major risk, it will get used.
>
> But I am like many that have gotten involved too late to make a big difference here and 1.5 probably ought not be held up because some of us are just waking from our slumber.  As 1.6 inevitably bootstraps, I think we should start coming together now.
I would like to ask you (OSGi users) to investigate what is needed to
be done, because as I said none of core devs use OSGi in his daily job
and at least I try to fill my spare time with technologies I like and
unfortunately OSGi is not in my list.

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
I'm kind of coming in on this late, but wanted to offer a few observations.

Firstly, I would imagine there is more suppressed demand for OSGi in Wicket than there was total demand for portlets.  Myself and few others started looking at using OSGi with Brix for purposes of plugins, which would be really helpful because the CMS could be upgraded without restarting it.  I don't expect Brix to deal with packaging issues, but the whole classloader thing was a big distraction for a project that is focused on serving pages.

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniele Dellafiore <da...@dellafiore.net>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.