Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/03 00:26:12 UTC

Upgrades to jars after moving to ivy.

I've just modified ivy.xml to use jackson 1.7.4 and this triggered an
interesting situation in which I ended up having two versions of
jackson in my checkout. This begs the question of what should we be
doing to remove stale JARs on an update of ivy descriptors. Should
"ant clean" remove all the JARs?

Dawid

RE: Upgrades to jars after moving to ivy.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Ant clean-jars... I complained already. In my opinion we should always remove all jars on clean.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
> prior to ivy, an "svn up && ant clean" would get you into a good state

I use git so I can also do "git clean -xfd" and this restores anything
not in version control but I agree that it would be more intuitive to
have 'ant clean' remove jars as well if they're restored quickly from
cache anyway.

Posted by Chris Male <ge...@gmail.com>.
Made the issue, LUCENE-3943

Chris Male | Software Developer | DutchWorks | www.dutchworks.nl

Re: Upgrades to jars after moving to ivy.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Additionally, removing all JARs on "ant clean" is hoorible for IDE users, because those would loose JARs from their classpath.

As Robert said, for Eclipse it might be better to depend on IvyDE plugin, which works great and does the same like the building class-path from Ivy cache (ivy:cachepath/ivy:cachefileset). You right click on the ivy.xml file and Eclipse adds all referenced JARs to your internal build path. It then appears like a "library" in Eclipse sense.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
See my previous comment... Horrible for DIE users at the moment.

-----

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Dawid Weiss
<da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> This is way too much effort for what you will get. effort better spent
>
> Isn't it like adding one line to 'clean' target though?
>
> <delete dir="${basedir}" includes="**/*.jar" />
>
>> removing lib/ and 'copies of jars' totally
>> and instead having ivy just put this in the classpath.
>
> This isn't going to be just about classpaths -- it's going to be about
> packaging, license checks, coordinates of license files wrt JAR files
> etc. I agree it's a larger issue and I'm not pressing for it to happen
> on 3.x, but ''ant clean' seems to be better than nothing and seems
> relatively simple unless I'm missing something.

Right, like reviewing all packaging tasks to see if they ever call
'clean' before they do anything like generate maven artifacts or
create binary distribution packages.
Because if this happens, then the binary distribution is screwed. I'm
not willing to risk it.

--
lucidimagination.com

Re: Upgrades to jars after moving to ivy.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.