Posted to dev@community.apache.org by me <me...@emangini.com> on 2022/05/06 14:26:19 UTC

Naming/Branding: First Steps

Happy Friday/Saturday esteemed colleagues and collaborators!

I kicked off the first steps by reaching out to the legal team to understand the risk/worst case scenario. I’m attempting to gain a better understanding to the question:  “What if the choice is taken away from us, through litigation?”

My thought process is the following:

Irrespective of social climate, level of effort, etc. there is a worst case scenario represented by the ever present risk. Before we embark on any journeys of epic proportions for the greater good, it’s helpful to define the stakes and understand our primary responsibilities: our community.

I think it’s a fair assumption that this will help level set conversations going forward, as well as to provide us a next question: “Given the defined risk, what is its magnitude?” (i.e. is it a 1 in a billion lightning strike, or a 50/50 coin flip).

—

That said, I think there is a derivative of Owen’s statements we have to consider.

Asking a question to parties who haven't considered that question inevitably runs the risk of changing their perspective. If there is a gun to be jumped, this is most likely it. If I can make a request of those involved thus far, can you sleep on this and think about it? I think it’s something we need to consider internally so that any outreach is approached with care.

It might be worth doing some internal research on Apache culture (nothing exhaustive, but enough for us to understand tribal values) before performing outreach (or in the extreme, from performing it altogether). At the very least this can help us navigate away from areas that may induce conflict, as well as to consider the wording of our inquiry.

Walter, you seem to have a decent hold on the social impact. Do you have a resource you can reach out to? (Or is it something you’re willing to research to compile some facts?)

From: me <me...@emangini.com>
Reply: me <me...@emangini.com>
Date: May 5, 2022 at 12:57:25
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>, Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: A way to keep the name

Owen,

You’re conflating different aspects of the circumstances.
(Are you not from the US? Sorry for my ignorance. I’m just trying to better understand your position.)

1.) Business Risk.

Our brand name has a causal relationship with an indigenous people. Regardless of our reputation or status, that indigenous people has the claim to the naming and branding based on existing legal precedent in the United States. This presents a business risk to the foundation and license. It would be in the best interest of the foundation to evaluate that risk.

This problem exists whether it is dormant or active. I’m going to hand wave for brevity, but I’m happy to take this offline to explain it further.

Yes, the ASF is a business. It may be a Non-Profit, Open Source Business, but we create products that are consumed.

Profit and intent are irrelevant. There is no barrier (legally, socially or in business) that makes these concepts a means for separation or dismissal of complaints should they arise.

2.) Social Impact.

There have been several attempts to try to use the non-profit structure to differentiate the ASF from sports teams. The example of sports teams is to demonstrate social climate and its impact on businesses.
(NOTE: Jeep proactively engaged with the Cherokee nation, based on the articles previously shared. There was no complaint.) Their effort was derived from recognizing current social climate.

Tying this back to business… being proactive is a due diligence factor: “What is the risk of continuing to perform action X?”

Again. Profit and intent are irrelevant. There is no barrier (legally, socially or in business) that makes these concepts a means for separation or dismissal of complaints should they arise.

—

To your point about jumping the gun:

Maybe? This thread started with Walter’s sentiments. Those are derived categorically from social impact/climate. Walter suggested that there had been inquiries, I believe? For a moment, let’s say that there isn’t. Does that matter?

Social Climate is not subject to logic or math. Cherokee could flat out endorse Jeep, and Apache could sue us. (Or vice versa).

There is a much larger issue than just a “read the room effort” to rebrand. We have a responsibility to the community as a whole to ensure that the products are safe to consume going forward in the presence of risk. Personally, this is my primary concern (and core to my involvement.)

From: Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Date: May 5, 2022 at 12:11:21
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>

This issue still is that we are jumping the gun.

Has any REPRESENTATIVE from the Apache Nation filed a complaint or reached
out?

You may be creating a problem that does not exist. If we are doing good
will, it may be noticed and not seen as an issue.

Apache Foundation is a non-profit and not a baseball team that profits off
the Apache Nation creating offensive hand gestures, etc.

This may be a non-issue from the start and you are creating an issue when
no REPRESENTATIVE has made a statement or complained.

Owen Rubel
orubel@gmail.com

Re: Naming/Branding: First Steps

Posted by me <me...@emangini.com>.

Re: Naming/Branding: First Steps

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
That was someone’s opinion on a list. That is not official.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Walter Cameron <wa...@waltercameron.com>.
> It might be worth doing some internal
> research on Apache culture (nothing
> exhaustive, but enough for us to understand
> tribal values) before performing outreach (or
> in the extreme, from performing it
> altogether). At the very least this can help us
> navigate away from areas that may induce
> conflict, as well as to consider the wording of
> our inquiry.
>
> Walter, you seem to have a decent hold on
> the social impact. Do you have a resource
> you can reach out to? (Or is it something
> you’re willing to research to compile some
> facts?)

I am by no means an expert in “Apache culture”, but I think Wikipedia
describes it well when it says: “The Apache Nations are politically
autonomous, speak several different languages, and have distinct cultures.”
To refer to them all as a singular culture is a misnomer and neglects the
complexity of the problem being presented.

What is being appropriated here is a broad group of people. On social media
you can find examples of people who identify as Apache both deriding and
celebrating uses of the term by us and other organizations who appropriate
it. A lot of what you find depends on where you look. Like any group of
people you’re going to find a range of opinions. No people are a monolith.
That’s one of the problems with appropriation and stereotyping like this is
that it reduces so many complexities into a single label that we are wildly
misusing.

I’d like to make it clear that I’m not Apache, nor do I know anyone who
identifies as Apache. I am from a pretty different part of the country. Our
language, Lingít, is in the Na-Dene language family along with the interior
Athabaskan languages like the Apache languages.

Lingít has been labeled “critically endangered” by some, but there are
serious efforts being placed into restoring its use after it was forcefully
suppressed by previous generations. Some of the few stories I know of my
grandmother are about her experiences passed down of her punishments for
speaking her language at school. She didn’t pass down her language.

I think if you all tried to make a Tlingit Software Foundation, amongst
other numerous offenses having an “English Only” policy such as this list
has would definitely sting.

A lot of traditional Tlingit law involves intellectual property, as does US
law. New institutions and laws have enabled efforts to end appropriations
and cultural thefts. After one of our corporations won a settlement with
Neiman Marcus they burned an example of the offending intellectual property
in a ceremony downtown:
https://www.juneauempire.com/news/saga-over-garment-design-copyright-infringement-ends-in-ceremonial-fire/

As much as we might want to describe the relationship between ASF and
Apache peoples as “coincidental” the fact of the matter is that it’s not a
relationship of coincidence rather it is of exploitation.

It’s not just me saying this, check out our cameo in this Washington Post
opinion article from a year ago about the Jeep controversy Ed’s been
mentioning:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/07/jeep-cherokee-name-change-native-americans/

I’d like to quote its closing here for emphasis:

> Remedying the harms of the past will require
> more than simply changing a name or a
> logo, but it is a first step toward ensuring
> that racial stereotypes are retired to the
> annals of history.

The opinion also covers a point that a protester of the Cleveland team
made: “I am not a mascot.” I don’t see Apache people as mascots either and
I have no interest in exploiting their identity to develop software. Again,
people have been saying this for years
https://github.com/Quick/Quick/issues/660, our appropriation is pretty much
a textbook example:
https://qz.com/805704/columbus-day-cultural-appropriation-white-americans-need-to-stop-assuming-native-american-culture-belongs-to-them-too/
if it hasn’t been written about yet in an actual textbook I’m sure it will
be.

When it comes to Indigenous sovereignty, settler-colonial organizations are
famous for only doing the right thing when absolutely forced to do so, and
maybe that will be true of us here at ASF, but if so it will be a shame.

Until then we’re probably going to keep pissing people off and getting made
fun of, and rightfully so.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

From: Owen Rubel <or...@gmail.com>
Reply: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>