Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2020/08/06 16:18:08 UTC

Re: [OT] Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Re: [OT] Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

The problem is that if you don't have your old command-line saved and
> handy, you have to figure out how to re-generate it. Thus, the
> feature-request for procrun to dump the current configuration to a
> script which can re-create itself.
>
> I'm just suggesting that if your installer can dump that kind of thing
> out it might also be handy.

I agree that this would be useful. Once it exists in procrun, perhaps the
installer could be extended to take advantage of it.

Bill

Re: [OT] Upgrade: tomcat8w.exe //ES//example - dump Java Options and other information to tomcat9

Posted by Bill Stewart <bs...@iname.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Christopher Schultz wrote:

The problem is that if you don't have your old command-line saved and
> handy, you have to figure out how to re-generate it. Thus, the
> feature-request for procrun to dump the current configuration to a
> script which can re-create itself.

I just thought I would also mention that this problem (needing to reproduce
a service configuration) doesn't arise when using my alternative installer
to upgrade a Tomcat instance: An upgrade installs on top of, and replaces,
an older version in-place without modifying the service configuration
details.

Bill