Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rallavagu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/27 01:47:29 UTC

Solr hard commit

All,

Are memory mapped files (mmap) flushed to disk during "hard commit"? If
yes, should we disable OS level (Linux for example) memory mapped flush?

I am referring to following for mmap files for Lucene/Solr

http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

Linux level flush

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-stop-flushing-of-mmaped-pages-to-disk/

Solr's hard and soft commit

https://lucidworks.com/blog/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

Thanks in advance.

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.
Just thinking loud, but Mapping is a OS feature.
For example , if a recovery is happening ( and it involves less than 100
docs of difference), the Tlog will be read to reproduce the data.
This will cause the Tlog to be accessed and ideally memory mapped.
Am I correct ?

Cheers

--
--------------------------

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?"

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Rallavagu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Is it related to this config?

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Rallavagu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Rallavagu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Erick, Thanks for clarification. I was under impression that
MMapDirectory is being used for both read/write operations. Now, I see
how it is being used. Essentially, it only reads from MMapDirectory and
writes directly to disk. So, the updated file(s) on the disk

Re: Solr hard commit

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.