Posted to women@apache.org by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org> on 2006/03/06 16:40:48 UTC

Grace Hopper Panel -- Topic Brainstorm

OK, so it seems we have enough interest to proceed.

At this point I think we should brainstorm on a topic.

Here's the blurb about Panels:

"Typically, panels consist of short presentations by 3-4 leaders in the
field, followed by moderated dialogue among the panelists and the
audience members."

Here's the blurb on the topics:

"We are interested in proposals on both technical topics and on
career-related topics. For technical contributions, we seek submissions
on technology benefiting humanity (both the technology and how people
use it to meet social, environmental, or political needs) and topics on
security and information management (e.g., privacy, id theft, cyber
tools). We also seek submissions on other leading edge technical topics
in computer science (e.g., nanotechnology, networking, ubiquitous
computing, low-powered processors, Internet technologies and services,
high performance computing). Professional topics of interest include
mentoring, professional development, networking, time management and
balancing professional and personal commitments. Submissions in keeping
with the theme of the conference, Making Waves, are also welcome.
Finally, we also welcome collections of three or four submissions that
cover different aspects of a common topic or theme, to form a mini-track
that can be scheduled appropriately."

I've been trying to come up with a technical subject area we could focus
on, but since the few women we have are spread across projects, it might
not be possible to come up with a coherent technical panel.

Perhaps we could just have a broad Working in Open Source theme with
presentations on how to started, intellectual property, what is a
meritocracy, mailing list etiquette, etc.   If all the panel
participants are from ASF, we could just call it a panel on the Apache
Way.  If there are panelists from other OS projects, perhaps a
presentation on each project's philosophy and process?

I think gender issues could perhaps be one of the subtopics, but I'm not
sure it should be the whole focus.

WDOT?  (Perhaps a subtopic on acronyms? :) )

--
Julie MacNaught
IBM Research

Re: Grace Hopper Panel -- Topic Brainstorm

Posted by Katie Capps Parlante <ca...@osafoundation.org>.
A high percentage of the attendees in 2004 were students or young women
early in their careers. Perhaps one of the goals of a panel or topic
could be to encourage these women to get involved with open source
projects in general and Apache projects in particular. Practical,
specific details about how to get involved and how Apache works might be
really interesting for them.

If you did a theme, each Apache woman who participated could do a short
presentation about the project they work on, going into some technical
detail. One of the points of the conference is just to see all of these
examples of women doing technical work and being really into their work
-- it can end up being fairly inspiring.

Cheers,
Katie

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks, where do we stand with this?

Is someone taking the lead on the submission?

To reiterate, my expertise lies within the
non-technical side of Open Source, primarily
communications and processes ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Sally

mobile +1 617 921 8656
fax    +1 617 321 4085
trade  http://www.haloworldwide.com/
self   http://www.khudairi.net/
Skype  sallykhudairi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Grace Hopper Panel -- Topic Brainstorm

Posted by Anna <an...@cs.wits.ac.za>.

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

> I'd love to see this year's proposal be "different" in that it goes into more
> depth on the opportunity and challenge of being a women working in FOSS.

+1.  I think there should be more about women in leadership roles in
technology, both in OSS communities, R&D labs, business, wherever we may
be.

Re: Grace Hopper Panel -- Topic Brainstorm

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
I'm happy to scare up a copy of the preso I used (which covered most
of what you are proposing)

I'd love to see this year's proposal be "different" in that it goes
into more depth on the opportunity and challenge of being a women
working in FOSS.  Last time there was a lot of "this is what FOSS is"
kind of content which was necessary at the time.  I'd hope more folks
know what it is by now.

Danese