Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info> on 2005/01/31 17:14:44 UTC

going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Hi folks,
I'm wondering how you usually proceed when visiting the live area, and
then wanting to edit it.

For us, it used to be that we would just change, in the URL bar, the
"live" to "authoring" - this doesn't work anymore, because we are now
proxying, so none of that "live" stuff is seen in the URL. And anyway it
doesn't seem like the best solution. So currently, you bookmark the
authoring entry page, and just have to click your way through to the
desired page.

One might also use a "for internal use only" part in the menu, but I
think a transparent way of accessing the authoring area would be best.

Would a good approach be, if user hits "Alt-e" on the keyboard, a new
window pops up, with the appropriate URL to the authoring area of that
page ? This would be in analogy to hitting "Ctrl-e" which opens the HTML
Composer perspective (in Mozilla)

A small test suggests that this basically works in Javascript. Of
course, I'd need to pass some variables to the Javascript in order to
get the link to the authoring area right.

WDYT ? Other ideas ?

Wolfgang.

Re: going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

> Jann Forrer schrieb:
> > (...)
> >
> > Do you mind to present your solution (i.e. youd modification to
> > page2xhtml.xsl). We could probably use it in our publication too.
>
> No problem, but I'm a bit ashamed because I think it's mostly a hack,
> and most importantly, I don't know at this time how to parameterize the
> base URL of the authoring area, so I hardcoded it for now.
>
> Anyway, since you asked, here it comes ;)

[ ... ]

Thank you very much for the precise instruction.
Some time ago we also did discuss the possibilty to open the authoring
site directly from the live site. I will try to implement your or the mod_proxy
solution for our publications.

Jann

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich

oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
 \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Re: going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Jann Forrer schrieb:
> (...)
>
> Do you mind to present your solution (i.e. youd modification to
> page2xhtml.xsl). We could probably use it in our publication too.

No problem, but I'm a bit ashamed because I think it's mostly a hack,
and most importantly, I don't know at this time how to parameterize the
base URL of the authoring area, so I hardcoded it for now.

Anyway, since you asked, here it comes ;)

I set a variable
<xsl:variable name="link_to_authoring"
select="concat('http://www.interactivesystems.info:8080/lenya/institute/authoring','/',$url)"/>

$url is already known in the page, so this is not the problem. The
problem is where to get the base for the authoring area from. (In our
case, we're not proxying the authoring area, just the live area, because
that way the authoring is only accessible to LAN, or people setting our
proxy (the real proxy I mean) in their browser, all other requests are
dropped by the firewall.

Then in the header part of the page, I refer to a Javascript file and
call a function (actually, a class) to hook a key event :

       <script src="{$root}/resources/custom/inside.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>
       <script type="text/javascript">
           new AutomatedLinkingClass('<xsl:value-of
select="$link_to_authoring"/>', 'Opening new window - make sure popups
are enabled for this site');
       </script>

The Javascript file (here: inside.js) is served normally by the Cocoon
reader, added in the publication pipeline for the pattern *.js. We
already had this actually, because I had some other Javascript need before.

Here is the relevant function in the Javascript file:

// start javascript
function AutomatedLinkingClass(p_link, p_alertMessage)
{
    var linkURL = p_link;
    var alertMessage = p_alertMessage;

    document.onkeydown = open_on_press_alt_e;

    function open_on_press_alt_e(e) {
       if (!e) e = window.event;
       open_on_event(e, 'e', 'E', 'altKey', linkURL, alertMessage);
    }

    function open_on_event(event, specialCode, specialCodeCap,
specialControl, newURL, message) {
       if (
          (String.fromCharCode(event['keyCode']) == specialCode ||
           String.fromCharCode(event['keyCode']) == specialCodeCap)
          && event[specialControl] == true
          ) {
          alert(message);
          window.open(newURL);
       }
    }

}
// end javascript

This works in Mozilla and Firefox, Linux and Windows. It doesn't work on
Apple Firefox, don't know why. I don't know about IE, it's not relevant
for us since we use Bitflux anyway for editing.

Re: going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Opps, forgot to mention, I don't use the root param any where else in my
stylesheet so I have made it always point to the authoring area in my
publication-sitemap.xmap aggregation.  Like so:
<map:parameter name="root"
value="{page-envelope:context-prefix}/{2}/authoring"/>

--Doug

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Re[2]: going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Posted by qMax <qm...@mediasoft.ru>.

--
 qMax

Re: going from live to authoring / a usability issue ?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com
Apache Lenya                              http://lenya.apache.org