Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kurt Olsen <ku...@hotmail.com> on 2000/01/11 02:27:13 UTC

Apache+Tomcat how in FAQ, incorrect win32 instructions.

Hi,
Unfortunately the win32 instructions don't work regarding Apache+Tomcat 3.0
The tomcat batch files are needlessly complex, simply set classpath directly
and invoke java org.apache.tomcat.shell.Startup(), then provide instructions
for telling user how to shutdown manually. The batch files don't help
because
they don't teach, and they splash stuff all apart.

The instructions for win32 forget to mention that you have to un-comment
the unix load and instead use the win32 line for loading mod_jserv.

The batch files didn't run properly either if I recall, didn't work at all.
Seemed to be an eol type of thing...

Also, from an outside viewpoint you have a proliferation of config files
happening now, jserv.conf, jserv.properties, web.xml, server.xml etc. etc.
You're gonna end up using one file (well maybe not one but...) so just
get it over with. Just tell me what to add to the end of httpd.conf
and I'll be fine, but i'm getting tired of sorting out the tangle
and chasing from file to file trying not to get confused.

So enough of pointing out your flaws. It's working. Apache 1.3.9/tomcat 3.0
on a windows 98 box.... very cool for this developer...thank you.
I tried becoming a developer but the email program decided to get
flakey and didn't send my sub's to the mail list....I'll get back to that
soon so that when i complain somebody tells me to get back to work...

Oh, I almost forgot.

I did repeated installations of Apache1.3.9/win32 and JServ1b3 (newest one).
I noticed that the jserv installation program is intermittently flakey.
It failed (locked up after asking where my jvm was) 2 of 5 times.
The apache 1.3.9 install worked perfectly every time kudos.

The JServ install also fails to modify httpd.conf by adding the line
to include the jserv.conf file. It worked once, but never again.

Thankx,
Kurt Olsen

RE: Apache+Tomcat how in FAQ, incorrect win32 instructions.

Posted by David Yao <da...@cwusa.com>.
Look at file tomcat.conf under [tomcat home]\etc
you need add this file to Apache httpd.conf and pay
attention to TCP/IP port(ajpv12(which  relate to
module(.dll or .so) that you can download from Jakarta website)
 use port:8007)

Good luck,
David