Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/28 02:12:37 UTC

migrating to cocoon 3.0

I have few components written against cocoon 2.2.
For example, extending those classes:

FileGenerator
TraxTransformer
AbstractInputModule

I am looking to port them to 3.0, but can not find a reference for the
components. I can see here some components, but no examples and not
even the classes.
http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/reference/html/pipelines.html#d0e363

Is there a place where I can get the help I need ??

Thank you.

Re: migrating to cocoon 3.0

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Mansour,
you'll find my replies embedded below.

Regards.

On 28/01/2013 03:07, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> To be more specific, where can I find examples for SAX components. For example:
>
> looking at this
> http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/sax/AbstractSAXGenerator.html
>
> I don't understand the parameters for :
>

> void setup(Map<String,Object> parameters)
>
>      The shared object map for this pipeline run.
>
> and for:
>
> void setConfiguration(Map<String,? extends Object> configuration)

Take a look at interface eventually implemented by AbstractSAXGenerator,
i.e. PipelineComponent:

http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/pipeline/component/PipelineComponent.html

Don't forget that "Apache Cocoon 3 is a major rewrite of Cocoon 2.2.
Like Cocoon 2 it is based around the concept of pipelines and sitemaps
and it is very similar to Cocoon 2.2 in many respects but is slimmed
down and designed to be easily used with Java code (= no frameworks
required!)."

This has many consequences, including the fact that everything that you
do in C2.1 and C2.2 via sitemap.xmap can be done via pure Java code:
here's the reason why there are two different setup() and
setConfiguration() methods, even though very often they can be
considered almost equivalent.

> additionally, in previous versions of cocoon, I was able to do this
> for custom components:
>
>    <map:components>
>      <map:generators/>
>      <map:transformers/>
>      <map:serializers/>
>      <map:readers/>
>      <map:selectors/>
>      <map:matchers/>
>      <map:actions/>
>      <map:pipes/>
>    </map:components>
>
> Is this still possible in C3.0 ??

Of course yes, but not in the sitemap.xmap.
The availability of generators, transformer, etc is handled by Spring
via the cocoon-spring-configurator.

For example, the "standard" components are declared in [7] while
optional are declared in [8].
You can of course declare your own components in your own sources:
consider for example what I did for a project of mine [9] where I have
developed a reader and a transformer for Hippo CMS.

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Mansour Al Akeel
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have few components written against cocoon 2.2.
>> For example, extending those classes:
>>
>> FileGenerator

This is now a subclass of XMLGenerator: you will find it in [1].

>> TraxTransformer

It is now called XSLTTransformer (easier, isn't it?); you will find it
in [2].

>> AbstractInputModule

There is no support for input modules in C3 sitemap.
However, there is a similar concept, i.e. language interpreters [3];
currently, there are some of there available: JEXL [4], Settings [5] and
so on.

You can see them in action in cocoon-sample sitemap [6] (for example in
things like {jexl:cocoon.request.fileName}).

>> I am looking to port them to 3.0, but can not find a reference for the
>> components. I can see here some components, but no examples and not
>> even the classes.
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/reference/html/pipelines.html#d0e363
>>
>> Is there a place where I can get the help I need ??

Oh yes, this mailing list ;-)

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-sax/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/sax/component/XMLGenerator.java
[2]