Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Michael Boehler <bo...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/01 15:09:43 UTC

Multisites with Lenya

Hi all,

I was wondering, if it is possible to maintain several publication in one
installation of Lenya, while pointing these publications to different
domains or subdomains.

Does this require to run a HTTP server in front of Lenya or can this handled
by Lenya/Jetty/Cocoon ?

TIA
Michael

Re: Multisites with Lenya

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> On 7/1/06, Michael Boehler <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering, if it is possible to maintain several publication in one
>> installation of Lenya, while pointing these publications to different
>> domains or subdomains.
>>
>> Does this require to run a HTTP server in front of Lenya or can this
>> handled
>> by Lenya/Jetty/Cocoon ?
>
> I am answering because few of those who better know post on weekends.
> You may get better answers next week.

This answer might not be better ;-)

We use an apache2 http-Server in front of our servlet engine (tomcat)
and have for each virtual host the respective RedirectRules. See:

http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/tutorial/mod_proxy_and_lenya.html

You might also try to use a tomcat filter to rewrite your urls see e.g.

https://urlrewrite.dev.java.net/

However i did not try that approach yet.

Jann

Re: Multisites with Lenya

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 7/1/06, Michael Boehler <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering, if it is possible to maintain several publication in one
> installation of Lenya, while pointing these publications to different
> domains or subdomains.
>
> Does this require to run a HTTP server in front of Lenya or can this handled
> by Lenya/Jetty/Cocoon ?

I am answering because few of those who better know post on weekends.
You may get better answers next week.

See if you understand:
   http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/faq?s=300-HTTP&t=virtual
It might say Jetty supports limited URL writing, but it is written poorly.

We use Apache httpd 2.1 to rewrite incoming requests for multiple
servers in multiple domains to several web servers.  One of those
servers is Lenya/Jetty.  Apache rewrites the Lenya URLs to add
"publication/area/" for each virtual server.  It also rewrites the
Cookies.

There have been suggestions that better performance can be obtained by
running separate Lenya/Jetty servers for each Publication.

Hope that helps,
solprovider