Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/25 14:31:00 UTC

GeoCouch for Apache CouchDB 1.3.x

Hi all,

I finally found the time to make GeoCouch work with CouchDB 1.3.x (which
is HEAD/trunk at the moment). It's on Github now [1].

Some of you might wonder, why I did the refactoring myself and haven't
used Paul Davis' work [1] or the one from the Refuge project [2]. The
most important reason for me was, that I wanted to understand and learn
how things are different now. And I learn better if I *do it*, instead
of just reading existing code.

At Couchbase we also need to change the way we are handling the
indexers, this was a good way to see and learn how Apache CouchDB is
doing it now, and if we might do it in a similar way.

Another point is, that GeoCouch had a few small changes after the Refuge
fork, they would have needed to be backported. I also wanted to be based
on the most recent version of Apache CouchDB, not the one when the
original refactor was made.

Anyway, have fun with the new version and help me finding bugs :)

[1] https://github.com/couchbase/geocouch/tree/couchdb1.3.x
[2] https://github.com/davisp/geocouch/tree/new-views/
[3] https://github.com/refuge/refuge_spatial/

Cheers,
  Volker

Re: GeoCouch for Apache CouchDB 1.3.x

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
I think John is asking that geocouch ships as part of couchdb.

B.

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benoit,

On 10/25/2012 04:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another point is, that GeoCouch had a few small changes after the Refuge
>> fork, they would have needed to be backported. I also wanted to be based
>> on the most recent version of Apache CouchDB, not the one when the
>> original refactor was made.
>>

> Not sure I follow, which changes are you speaking about?
> refuge_spatial is also based on the latest couchdb master  and support
> KNN queries + other fixes. Can you detail them?

One thing e.g. is the support for skip/limit. I'm also not sure if the
change, that you can query without a bounding box is in.

> I will say it again but it's unfortunate you didn't want collaborate
> with us on different upgrades of geocouch we made even any critics on
> the patches that we provided you since the 1.2 release of couch. Each
> time you did it apart.  Which is, to say less, unfortunate.

I agree that it is unfortunate and I really want more collaboration.
Though the fork happened without me noticing it. So it's not fair to say
you provided patches and I refused to work together. At least I can't
remember it happening.

> Now, I will have a look on this new version on the code and see how we
> can eventually merge our changes. Hopefully in near future
> collaboration can be better.

The result is pretty similar, the most differences is probably the
different naming of variables and the modules. And yes, I'm interested
in better collaboration.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another point is, that GeoCouch had a few small changes after the Refuge
> fork, they would have needed to be backported. I also wanted to be based
> on the most recent version of Apache CouchDB, not the one when the
> original refactor was made.

Not sure I follow, which changes are you speaking about?
refuge_spatial is also based on the latest couchdb master  and support
KNN queries + other fixes. Can you detail them?

I will say it again but it's unfortunate you didn't want collaborate
with us on different upgrades of geocouch we made even any critics on
the patches that we provided you since the 1.2 release of couch. Each
time you did it apart.  Which is, to say less, unfortunate.

Now, I will have a look on this new version on the code and see how we
can eventually merge our changes. Hopefully in near future
collaboration can be better.

- benoit