Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by da...@cocoon.zones.apache.org on 2008/01/05 13:37:25 UTC

[DAISY] Created: Is Maven required for developing Cocoon-based applications?

A new document has been created.

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/1425.html

Document ID: 1425
Branch: main
Language: default
Name: Is Maven required for developing Cocoon-based applications?
Document Type: FAQ
Created: 1/5/08 12:37:10 PM
Creator (owner): Grzegorz Kossakowski
State: publish

Parts
=====

Content
-------
Mime type: text/xml
Size: 2437 bytes
Content:

Cocoon framework. Even though it's true that we strongly advise to use Maven for
several reasons that can be briefly outlined here:</p>

<ul>
<li>Apache Maven 2 is used for Cocoon 2.2 development itself by project
committers. If you run into trouble using Maven 2 as build system chances that
you will get helpful advice on Cocoon's user mailing list increases greatly
compared to other build systems.</li>
<li>We (project community) ship handy tools like <a href="daisy:1297">Maven RCL
plug-in</a> or Maven archetypes that ease development with Cocoon significally.
</li>
Cocoon using Maven 2.</li>
</ul>

Maven only. However, we had to choose some build system, let it be Ant, Ivy or
anything else. Our choice was Maven and we had good reasons for that.</p>

Cocoon 2.2 has no hard dependencies on Apache Maven 2</strong>. I think it's the
best to quote Carsten
Ziegeler's<a href="http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user/63070">
e-mail</a> from user's mailing list:</p>

<pre>Before we continue to discuss the pros and cons of maven (which I'm
really really tired of) a very important clarification:

    Cocoon 2.2 does not require Maven. Period.

and

    The Cocoon project uses Maven for developing Cocoon itself.

While there might be advantages in using Maven for building own
applications with Cocoon like the archetypes, it's not a requirement. I
think we took great care to allow users to use their favorite build
system. I built Cocoon 2.2 web based applications without maven by using
a simple ant script copying jars into the WEB-INF/lib folder. All you
need are the binary artifacts of Cocoon (and the required third party jars).

Now, I agree that we currently fail in providing a convenient download
for these use cases - but that's a totally different thing and has
nothing to do with maven. I hope that this will change with a final 2.2
release - which is hopefully coming in the near future...

Carsten
</pre>

Fields
======
Tags: Installation, Maven, build system

Collections
The document belongs to the following collections: cdocs