Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/03/23 13:52:12 UTC

Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Schmitt, Michael wrote:

> IMHO we should only describe features in the SVN book that are actually
> part of the binary distributions. Is there are any reason why
> hot-backup.py is missing? Why should we conceal it from the people?

I think this is part of a more general problem:  the Subversion Project
releases source tarballs to the world, whereas binary packages are
created by random volunteers for different systems.

The Subversion source tree has a whole lot of useful scripts in the
tools/ and contrib/ area (many of which are described in the book), but
my impression is that almost every binary packager tends to ignore these
scripts.  This is definitely not the first time someone has come onto
the dev@ or users@ list and said, "hey, where's hot-backup.py, or
svn_load_dirs.pl, or svnperms.py, or mailer.py?"...

I'm not sure what a good solution would be.  Perhaps education of binary
packagers?  Maybe we can write up a "guidelines" sheet that lists all
the things a good binary package ought to contain?

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21.02, David Kimdon wrote:
> > Now, the education part:
> > Wich programs/tools/scripts should I include in a packege named
> > "tools/ utilities" in the Windows Installer?
>
> Getting the installation of various scripts is something that I have
> wanted to get out of the Debian-specific files for some time.  For
> the files where there is a clearly proper installation directory this
> could remove a lot of code that is duplicate in all the different
> package build scripts.
>
> Here is a start, I'll be glad to make a patch for this when we have
> consensus.  See Makefile for the variable expansion and the full
> installed path as determined by configure :
>
> svn_load_dirs.pl                 -> ${bindir}/
> svn_load_dirs.README             -> ${docdir}/
> hot-backup.py [1]                -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
> tools/hook-scripts/* [2]         -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
> subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL -> ${docdir}/INSTALL.authz
> contrib/client-side/vc-svn.el    -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/
> contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/
>
> Here are some files that I am installing in the Debian package, but I
> don't if there is a generally accepted location for these files
> (Anyone know if there is a good place for these?) :
>
> tools/client-side/bash_completion
> tools/xslt/svnindex.xsl
> tools/xslt/svnindex.css
> contrib/client-side/svn.vim

I think that %SVNPATH%\tools and %SVNPATH%\contrib is more than good
enought. I just add a new Subversion item on Windows' startmenu wich
opens a folder in that folders in Windows Explorer.

This is a good list!

I see that many of the programs/tools/scripts are Unix centric (shebangs,
paths and so on) but that's very easy to work out.

A little more complicated issue is that programs like sendmail (or
compatibles) and bash are required for some of the scripts. However, it
does excist some good alternatives (at least for sendmail) that the
tools  can look for when running under Windows (both in C and Perl) so I
will check this out.

> Two more files that might be nice to install by default would need to
> be generated (perhaps at release time).  The Debian packages have a
> simple C program, see :
>
> http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/subversion/subversion-1.0.1/debian/t
>ools/
>
> that creates files to be installed as default configuration in
> /etc/subversion/config and /etc/config/servers.  Our install would
> need to be careful not to clobber an existing configuration, of
> course.

I'll look.

Thanks for the info. I hope that some Windows user's can come up with
some feedback (wishes, comments and so on).
I will come back with some pathches (making the scripts work on Windows
as well and so on) to the dev list when figuring out the SMTP question
(among others).

Jostein
--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:02:44PM +0100, David Kimdon wrote:
> svn_load_dirs.pl                 -> ${bindir}/
> svn_load_dirs.README             -> ${docdir}/
> hot-backup.py [1]                -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
> tools/hook-scripts/* [2]         -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
> subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL -> ${docdir}/INSTALL.authz
> contrib/client-side/vc-svn.el    -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/
> contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/
>
> Here are some files that I am installing in the Debian package, but I
> don't if there is a generally accepted location for these files
> (Anyone know if there is a good place for these?) :
>
> tools/client-side/bash_completion

/etc/bash_completion.d/ (if you have it)

> tools/xslt/svnindex.xsl
> tools/xslt/svnindex.css

These really are just examples.  I'm placing them in
/usr/share/subversion-1.0.x

> contrib/client-side/svn.vim

/usr/share/vim/syntax

You can see what I'm doing in the Mandrake packages at:
http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/contrib-SPECS/subversion/subversion.spec?rev=1.39&content-type=text/plain

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by David Kimdon <da...@kimdon.org>.
> Now, the education part:
> Wich programs/tools/scripts should I include in a packege named "tools/
> utilities" in the Windows Installer?

Getting the installation of various scripts is something that I have
wanted to get out of the Debian-specific files for some time.  For
the files where there is a clearly proper installation directory this
could remove a lot of code that is duplicate in all the different
package build scripts.

Here is a start, I'll be glad to make a patch for this when we have
consensus.  See Makefile for the variable expansion and the full
installed path as determined by configure :

svn_load_dirs.pl                 -> ${bindir}/
svn_load_dirs.README             -> ${docdir}/
hot-backup.py [1]                -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
tools/hook-scripts/* [2]         -> ${libdir}/subversion/hook-scripts/
subversion/mod_authz_svn/INSTALL -> ${docdir}/INSTALL.authz
contrib/client-side/vc-svn.el    -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/
contrib/client-side/psvn/psvn.el -> ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/

Here are some files that I am installing in the Debian package, but I
don't if there is a generally accepted location for these files
(Anyone know if there is a good place for these?) :

tools/client-side/bash_completion
tools/xslt/svnindex.xsl
tools/xslt/svnindex.css
contrib/client-side/svn.vim

Two more files that might be nice to install by default would need to
be generated (perhaps at release time).  The Debian packages have a
simple C program, see :

http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/subversion/subversion-1.0.1/debian/tools/

that creates files to be installed as default configuration in
/etc/subversion/config and /etc/config/servers.  Our install would
need to be careful not to clobber an existing configuration, of
course.

-David

[1] : Needs paths to db_archive and db_recover to be set
appropriately.

[2] : These scripts may need their python or perl interpreter path
adjusted.

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Tuesday 23 March 2004 14.52, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Schmitt, Michael wrote:
> > IMHO we should only describe features in the SVN book that are
> > actually part of the binary distributions. Is there are any reason
> > why hot-backup.py is missing? Why should we conceal it from the
> > people?
>
> I think this is part of a more general problem:  the Subversion
> Project releases source tarballs to the world, whereas binary packages
> are created by random volunteers for different systems.
>
> The Subversion source tree has a whole lot of useful scripts in the
> tools/ and contrib/ area (many of which are described in the book),
> but my impression is that almost every binary packager tends to ignore
> these scripts.  This is definitely not the first time someone has come
> onto the dev@ or users@ list and said, "hey, where's hot-backup.py, or
> svn_load_dirs.pl, or svnperms.py, or mailer.py?"...

OK an improvement from a packager is on the way (my next commit to the
trunk for the Windows installer).  :-)

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:

> (I would go further, and say that if we don't install something
> as part of "make install", we shouldn't ship it in the source
> tarball, and it shouldn't be part of our main repository.

I've been saying that all along :).

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by Travis P <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:41 AM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 08:52, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>> I'm not sure what a good solution would be.  Perhaps education of
>> binary
>> packagers?  Maybe we can write up a "guidelines" sheet that lists all
>> the things a good binary package ought to contain?
>
> If we think a binary package should contain stuff in our source tree,
> we
> should install it as part of "make install".  It's silly to expect
> binary packages to ship more than that.
>
> (I would go further, and say that if we don't install something as part
> of "make install", we shouldn't ship it in the source tarball, and it
> shouldn't be part of our main repository.  But other developers would
> probably find that extreme.)

I definitely ran into exactly this problem with hot-backup.py even
being a from-source user.  I did a "make install" and then to save disk
space, blew away the build directories.  Then a day or so later, I went
hunting for hot-backup.py.  I found hot-backup.py.in in my tarball and
the Subversion Subversion repository.  I didn't know that it was
configure that made hot-backup.py.in -> hot-backup.py.  I just renamed
the thing, made a few edits to in myself to find the binaries and such
and that has appeared to work fine.  I guess the configure script would
have automatically put in the paths to the binaries.

-Travis

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 08:41, Greg Hudson wrote:

> If we think a binary package should contain stuff in our source tree, we
> should install it as part of "make install".

Hm, that makes sense to me.  But I really have no idea where to put all
this stuff.   We're talking about a whole bunch of scripts here:

  hot-backup.py
  commit-email.pl
  mailer.py
  commit-access-control.pl
  svnperms.py
  svn_load_dirs.pl

And maybe some less critical ones?

  showchange.pl
  server-vsn.py
  psvn.el

And the xslt stuff too?

  svnindex.xsl
  svnindex.css

These things are all over the map.  Should our 'make install' just dump
them into /usr/share/subversion/utilities/ or something?

Re: Scripts in binary packages (was Re: hot-backup.py for windows?)

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> The Subversion source tree has a whole lot of useful scripts in the
> tools/ and contrib/ area (many of which are described in the book), but
> my impression is that almost every binary packager tends to ignore these
> scripts.  This is definitely not the first time someone has come onto
> the dev@ or users@ list and said, "hey, where's hot-backup.py, or
> svn_load_dirs.pl, or svnperms.py, or mailer.py?"...
>
> I'm not sure what a good solution would be.  Perhaps education of binary
> packagers?  Maybe we can write up a "guidelines" sheet that lists all
> the things a good binary package ought to contain?

Yes, please!  That would be *wonderful*!  :-)

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt