Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com> on 2007/02/01 12:27:00 UTC

problem releasing artifacts using expressions as versions

Please see:
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/org/codehaus/plexus/security/plexus-security/1.0-alpha-8/plexus-security-1.0-alpha-8.pom

Its clear that the release manager failed to update the expression
definition of the dependency versions.  Fixing this bug will be easy if
only the expression is *always* declared within the same pom.  But a
problem arises when the definition is inherited.  And the declaring
parent project may or may not be in the reactor.

I can only propose the following solutions:

  [1] Update the expression definition if its in the same pom, or the
parent pom is in the reactor.  Otherwise, fail the release.
  [2] Update the expression definition if its in the same pom, and fail
the release if its inherited.
  [3] Fail the build whenever an expression is used as the version

I can not decide which is best.  So if you have any thoughts to
enlighten me, please express them... or forever hold your peace ^_^

Btw, the situation gets even more complicated in instances when the
expression definition is inside a profile.

Hope to hear from you soon...

^_^

Re: problem releasing artifacts using expressions as versions

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
This is pretty tricky, because the versions are selected based on the
interpolated POM, and it's possible (but unlikely) something like
this might happen:

project.version=1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT
module1: ${project.version}
module2: ${project.version}

and then we select:
module1: 1.0-alpha-1
module2: 1.0

This probably should fail, or stop using the property, but it's
confusing.

I'd suggest inspecting properties as well as dependencies, and if a
property matches a snapshot version prompt for the new property
value, and if a dependency equals a changed property exactly then
don't prompt for it. Does that make sense?

- Brett