Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> on 2001/05/15 04:14:46 UTC

mbox format

Hi,

BTW, does (will) James support mbox format as the mailbox repository?
I think the currently available mail tools (mail, mutt, etc) don't fit
into the service delivered by James. I think it would be great if James
support mbox (?) format mailbox. So that should anyone choose to stick
with mbox, then it would be fine; the mail clients that use port 25 as a
sending point, the mail would be able to be read using the other mail
clients that are run locally (on Unix machines, to be exact).

Problems may arise for those who use mailbox repository on the database;
local users (with non-POP mail clients) wouldn't be able to read the
mail destined for them, and yet, fetchmail wouldn't be working too (I
believe that fetchmail relies on local mail server to deliver the mail).
For this, I think we need somekind of tools that know how to POP email,
but deliver the retrieved mail to local inboxes using local delivery
systems (deliver?).

Had James supported mbox format, then all those local mail clients could
be used without any problem. Remote users who use POP, would able to
read their email too.

This doesn't mean that I'd like to personally use mbox format. I just
think that somebody out there might need it.

Oki

Re: help?thanks

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
What version of James are you using?

If you are using James 1.2 or 1.2.1 the db repository works. You need to
explain your problem better eg with error messages or logs.

If you are using James from CVS or a nightly release, the db stuff
doesn't work (yet)

Charles

help?thanks

Re: I want add user on application ,but error ,why?

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
putingyu wrote:

> hi :
>   I want add  user on application because I don't like use telnet. but error. why?
>
> package james;
>
> /**
>  * Title:
>  * Copyright:    Copyright (c) 2001
>  * Company:
>  * @author
>  * @version 1.0
>  */
> import org.apache.avalon.*;
> import org.apache.avalon.blocks.*;
> import org.apache.james.*;
> import org.apache.james.transport.*;
> import org.apache.james.userrepository.*;
> import java.net.*;
> import java.io.*;
> import java.util.*;
>
> public class addUser {
> private String   username,password,restr;
> private UsersRepository users;
> private org.apache.james.James  mailServer;
>
>   public addUser() {
> username="pty";
> password="pty";
>   }
> public String Add() {
> mailServer=new org.apache.james.James();

That's why. Its meant to be run as a server application over avalon.

Re: James not receiving confirmation email from Jetpseed when adding users.

Posted by sbelt <sb...@velos.com>.
Scott:

what version of Jetspeed are you running? I seem to recall these tags were
missing in older versions of the JetspeedResources.properties. Have you
tried the latest cvs?

Also, look in the spam folder of James (var/mail/spam?). Do you see you
messages there? I found all my Jetspeed emails in this folder until I
resolved the domain-name issue which I have been describing.

Steve B.

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
typu wrote:

> hi:
>       Can i apply james to program a website to offer mail_service?
>       Such as assign user_account or mail_box?
>       How can i do  it ?
>
>                    a chinese user:   putingyu

Yes and no.
You should be able to write a servlet that connects to port 4555
(RemoteManager) to add/ delete users and that connects to port 110 for
POP3 access. But that only gives you one mailbox - the Inbox - per user.
I'm not sure what state the IMAP code is in. And I haven't tried this,
so good luck!
Charles

Can i apply james to program a website to offer mail_service?

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Re: mbox format

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Charles Benett wrote:
> Alternatively, someone could write an implementation of MailRepository
> that uses mbox format and donate it to the project!

Alternatively, the developers at Apache would have a sudden flash before
their eyes, and they'd decide that it'd be better to create the mbox
MailRepository class than going fishing on next weekend.

Oki

Re: mbox format

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> > BTW, does (will) James support mbox format as the mailbox repository?
>
> James does not support mbox. I don't think there is a plan to support mbox.
> I think mbox is nice but not important for James(just my 2 cents).

I agree.

Re: help me .thanks!

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
typu wrote:

> Hi:
>      My email_date lack four months that received from James .
>      examples: today is 2001-5-17 .but my received email_date is 2001-1-17 from James. how can i do it ?
> thanks!

james gets all its dates from your machine, AFAIK, so its a problem with
your machine's configuration, I guess.
Charles

help me .thanks!

Posted by typu <ty...@sunfieldgroup.com>.
Hi:

Re: mbox format

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Harmeet Bedi wrote:
> James does not support mbox. I don't think there is a plan to support mbox.
> I think mbox is nice but not important for James(just my 2 cents).

Think about this configuration:
sendmail, imapd, pop3d, fetchmail, procmail, pine/mutt/mail.

The beauty of that config is that the users would be able to get into
their mailboxes be it remotely (pop/imap) or locally.

> One could write a value add tool on top of James or any POP3 Server to
> convert to and from mbox. In the testing are there is a simple POP3Hammering
> class that one could modify to get messages and put into mbox.
> Would this tool idea work ?

I don't know which one would be easier; having some additional features
on James so that it will be able to have the same capabilities as the
above config (the beautiful config), or having some new tools that can
fetch email via POP but don't rely on port 25 for sending local mail.
But thinking about the nature of object-orientedness in James, the first
one would be more feasible; I think, you'd need only to add the storage
mechanism in the James repositories.

Problem is, even if James supported the mbox format, there's no added
value for any sysadmins to install James. But at least, they would be
able to have the same capabilities on their current systems. And
speaking about system migrations, it's pretty important; why would you
be interested to migrate if you would lose some of the capabilities?
James may support database mailboxes. But thing is, users don't care
much about the underlying storage mechanisms.

If I were a sysadmin in an ISP which provides remote login, I'd be
thinking twice in implementing James as the mail server. I'm glad (?)
that the users here in my place mostly using Outlook Express as their
mail clients. If they were given access to remote login, I'd be in
trouble; I believe that some of them would ask for local _and_ remote
mail access.

Oki

Re: mbox format

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <hb...@yahoo.com>.
> BTW, does (will) James support mbox format as the mailbox repository?

James does not support mbox. I don't think there is a plan to support mbox.
I think mbox is nice but not important for James(just my 2 cents).

One could write a value add tool on top of James or any POP3 Server to
convert to and from mbox. In the testing are there is a simple POP3Hammering
class that one could modify to get messages and put into mbox.
Would this tool idea work ?

Harmeet