Posted to rpc-dev@xml.apache.org by Peter Lyons <pl...@codefab.com> on 2002/08/24 21:12:12 UTC

Graphical XML-RPC client

Does anyone know of a generic graphical tool that allows you to enter an
url, method name, and arbitrarily complex parameters, and make a remote
procedure call and examine the response?  I've searched on google and
didn't find anything.  I'd be interesting in building a GUI wrapper for
the XmlRpcClient class that would facilitate development and testing of
new services.  Just wanted to see if something was already out there or
if anyone wanted to offer suggestions/advice on developing this
interface.

Thanks,

Pete Lyons

Re: Graphical XML-RPC client

Posted by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com>.
Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com> writes:
> Here's a mostly-completed graphical XML-RPC debugger written in XWT:

Hrm, I hacked on this for another half hour, but I have to leave
now. I'll probably finish this up next week.

Here's the improved version:

    http://launch.xwt.org/stable/megacz.com/probe2.xwar

And a screenshot:

    http://www.megacz.com/probe.png

  - a

--
"Cassette tapes are killing the music industry"
                             -- RIAA spokesperson, 1978

Re: Graphical XML-RPC client

Posted by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com>.

Re: Graphical XML-RPC client

Posted by Adam Megacz <ad...@megacz.com>.
Here's a mostly-completed graphical XML-RPC debugger written in XWT:

  http://launch.xwt.org/stable/megacz.com/probe.xwar

Doesn't look like much, but what's already been done (the tree
structure and element pickers) are the hard part.

  - a

Re: Graphical XML-RPC client

Posted by Peter Lyons <pl...@codefab.com>.
On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 16:09, Daniel Rall wrote:

> Commons HttpClient might be helpful implementing such a thing.  I saw
> Remy and another guy use a client like you speak of at the last
> JavaOne while they demonstrated Jakarta Slide.  They might have
> something usable by you.  Also, perhaps JMeter has this sort of
> capability?

Thanks very much for the links.  I did find that JMeter is currently
developing a component that will be able to load test SOAP/XML-RPC
services, and allows you to graphically build your calls (although you
just type the xml).  Anyone interested in load/stress testing their
XML-RPC services should keep their eyes on that. However, that code is
alpha and does not work at all yet, but their UI gave me an idea for a
super-simple way to do it.  I'm thinking you just type in the url,
method, and full xml request body, and I show you the full response.  If
I leave the request sitting in a JTextArea, it will be pretty easy to
tweak values and test a call repeatedly.  I think I can do it with just
URLConnection, but I may have to use HttpClient if URLConnection is
insufficient.  That seems like an extremely easy solution that will
solve my problem of having to build complex params in code, and
recompile between every call.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Graphical XML-RPC client