Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by Remy Gendron <re...@arrova.ca> on 2008/06/18 16:02:55 UTC

Atom XSD

I have found some Atom XSDs… but is there one that is more ‘official’ than
the others?

Am I right into believing that the Atom spec does not come with a XSD?

Thanks,

Rémy

Courriel:            remy.gendron@arrova.ca

Cellulaire:          418 809-8585

Site Web:           <http://arrova.ca/> http://arrova.ca

Liste:

RE: Atom XSD

Posted by Brian Smith <br...@briansmith.org>.
Remy Gendron wrote:
> I have found some Atom XSDs. but is there one that
> is more 'official' than the others?
>
> Am I right into believing that the Atom spec does
> not come with a XSD?

There is no official XSD or Relax NG for Atom. Even the base Atom syntax (as
defined in RFC 4287) cannot be described fully with XSD or Relax NG. Even
the prose of RFC 4287 doesn't fully define the syntax. For example, some
parts of the specification and some Atom tools (including validators) rely
on some whitespace in Atom documents being considered insignificant, but
there is no definition of insignificant whitespace in the specification.

What do you need the XSD for? If you just need it to improve your editor's
syntax highlighting and code completion then I would try to generate the XSD
from the Relax NG; just keep in mind that it is not 100% correct. If you
need to validate Atom entries or feeds then I would use one of the
validators that are available. The feedvalidator.org one is open-source
Python, and I have developed another one in Python that I could share with
you.

Regards,
Brian

Re: Atom XSD

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
big feed but I've got ya beat :-)  I had generated a feed with over 100k
entries to stress test abdera's fom impl a while back.  It didn't go so
well... which is why the StreamWriter exists :-)

- James

Re: Atom XSD

Posted by Danny Ayers <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi again Remy,

I just remembered Trang, a tool that can do relaxng2xsd :

--
http://dannyayers.com
~

RE: Atom XSD

Re: Atom XSD

Posted by Chris Berry <ch...@gmail.com>.
I think there are good reasons why a XSD is avoided in favor of
RelaxNG ;-)

On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> 2008/6/18 Jim Ancona <ji...@anconafamily.com>:
>
>> Remy Gendron wrote:
>>
>>> I have found some Atom XSDs… but is there one that is more
>>> 'official' than
>>> the others?
>>>
>>> Am I right into believing that the Atom spec does not come with a
>>> XSD?
>>

> You are correct.
>

>> RFC 4287 includes an informative Relax NG schema in Appendix B. Yuu
>> could
>> try using Trang (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html) to
>> convert it to XSD.
>>
>> You might have more luck asking on the atom-syntax list. OTOH, I just
>> searched there myself and didn't find much relevant. This post looked
>> interesting, but again the schemas are RNG not XSD:
>> http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg19894.html
>

> What Jim said (I could never have found such references!)
>
> I'm fairly sure prog APIs exist now in every language under the sun.
> May I ask, what do you want the xsd for?
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.

S'all good  ---   chriswberry at gmail dot com

Re: Atom XSD

Posted by Danny Ayers <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Atom XSD

Posted by Jim Ancona <ji...@anconafamily.com>.
Remy Gendron wrote:
> I have found some Atom XSDs… but is there one that is more ‘official’
> than the others?
>
> Am I right into believing that the Atom spec does not come with a XSD?

RFC 4287 includes an informative Relax NG schema in Appendix B. Yuu
could try using Trang (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html)
to convert it to XSD.

You might have more luck asking on the atom-syntax list. OTOH, I just
searched there myself and didn't find much relevant. This post looked
interesting, but again the schemas are RNG not XSD:
http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg19894.html

Jim