Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by David Wynter <da...@btclick.com> on 2002/01/24 18:51:25 UTC

Debugging techniques with Turbine and Tomcat

Since Oracle are now giving away their nice JDeveloper I thought I'd try to
run my Turbine applications and debug them with JDeveloper. I picked up the
following source from the Netbeans mailing list ( I never got it to work
with NetBeans 3.3 and Tomcat 4.0)

public class StartTomcat {

   public static final String CATALINA_HOME = "C:/tdk";
   public static void main (String args[])
   {
       try
       {
           System.setProperty("user.dir",CATALINA_HOME);
           String startArgs[] = { "start"};
           org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(startArgs);
       }
       catch(Exception e)
       {
           e.printStackTrace(System.out);
       }
   }
}

When I set this to be my start class in JDeveloper it uses the following
kick off.

C:\Oracle\jdk1.3\bin\javaw.exe -ojvm -classpath
C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\classes;C:\tdk\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\tdk\w
ebapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\activation-1.0.1.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransfo
rm\WEB-INF\lib\ant-optional.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\class
es12.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\ecs-1.4.1.jar;C:\tdk\webapps
\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\Ftp.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\FTPP
rotocol.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\jakarta-regexp-1.3-dev.ja
r;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\jdbc-se2.0.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtra
nsform\WEB-INF\lib\jdbc2_0-stdext.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib
\log4j-1.1.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\mail-1.2.jar;C:\tdk\we
bapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\oro.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib
\patbin151_122.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\patbin151_13.jar;C
:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\turbine-2.1.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtrans
form\WEB-INF\lib\velocity-1.2-dev.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib
\village-1.5.1.jar;C:\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\xalan-1.2.1.jar;C:
\tdk\webapps\rwtransform\WEB-INF\lib\xerces-1.3.0.jar;C:\tdk\common\lib\jndi
.jar;C:\tdk\common\lib\naming.jar;C:\tdk\common\lib\resources.jar;C:\tdk\com
mon\lib\servlet.jar;C:\Oracle\jdev\lib\jdev-rt.jar
com.roamware.rwtransform.startup.StartTomcat
Directory C:\tdk\common\lib does not exist
Process exited with exit code 1.

The key message seems to be the one where it says that "C:\tdk\common\lib
does not exist ".

Any ideas or suggestions?

David

Re: two different versions of servlet.jar in tdk

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Bruce Altner <ba...@hq.nasa.gov> writes:

> I was experimenting with using Filters to intercept an HttpRequest
> before it got to Turbine and ran into problem that I haven't seen
> mentioned here before. My filter compiled easily on one machine but
> not on another and the reason turned out to be that there are actually
> two slightly different versions of servlet.jar that ship with tdk
> 2.1. Servlet.jar in .../tdk/bin is 74750 bytes iand is dated 1:30 PM
> June 5, 2001 but the one in .../tdk/common/lib is 74969 bytes and is
> has the same date and time.
>
> Despite the timestamp I believe that the version in .../tdk/bin is
> really an earlier release since it still has the getFilterConfig()
> method
> in the Filter interface. A later release uses the init() method to
> configure the filter, which is what I implemented in my filter. Since
> my ant
> build file pointed to the wrong version, I got a compiler error
> because I wasn't implementing getFilterConfig().
>
> Is this just an oversight or is there a reason why two different
> versions of the Servlet 2.3 spec reside within the tdk?

Hey Bruce, I know at one point Jon was using snapshots of the CVS HEAD
for 2.3 (before it had been released).  You can get the Servlet API
source code from the jakarta-servletapi and jakarta-servletapi-4 CVS
modules on cvs.apache.org.

Dan

two different versions of servlet.jar in tdk