Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk> on 2010/02/06 07:58:36 UTC

what a mess! is framework independence ever going to be possible?

I'm back to the process of working out how to get a standalone framework
running based on trunk, but I have found that the dependencies have got
out of hand (if I've understood the code right):

Framework  depends on Themes
Themes depends on Content
Content depends on Party

The questions I'm starting to ask myself are:

"Is is ever going to be possible to have framework independence in
trunk?  Independence in 9.04 is relatively trivial (rewrite security
screens) perhaps the most sensible thing would be to do a fork of 9.04
and then back port all framework related commits from trunk? "

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: what a mess! is framework independence ever going to be possible?

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Chris,
I think we have not moved very forward.
We still have at least this page:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Framework-only+distribution

and the page you have written:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Ofbiz+as+a+development+framework

some comments in the DEV ML and not much more.

I am ready to restart!
I suggest to collect here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Framework-only+distribution

all the points we are able to agree and then start with the implementation.

-Bruno

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Bruno,

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Bruno,

I think your plan makes a lot of sense and I also agree with your
spreadsheet.

We should work on the buildbot to report and enforce correct dependencies.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi BJ,
sorry but what I meant for "configuration" is different from what I
see you addressed in these jiras.
For configuration I mean a defined set of components that are supposed
to work without any other component in the installation.

-Bruno

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
for that use the datamodel books and look at the data in each
application and see if it uses data from other applications.
if it does there is a dependency.

Bruno Busco sent the following on 2/7/2010 1:57 AM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
not sure if you look at the UI but there are permission you can use for
which UI are available to which login via permissions and roles.
as far as components you can hide a whole component in the web.xml and
still have access to it.

The artifact in webtools lets you see association with services, eca,
controller, UI

the basic design is the entity controls the database and UI data.

Christopher Snow sent the following on 2/7/2010 12:17 AM:

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Chris,

Framework independence has been a goal for quite a while. There is no disagreement that the framework should run on its own. The disagreements arise in what constitutes the framework.

Let's assume for a moment that framework independence means running the components in the framework folder independently from anything else in OFBiz. Right away the problem with that idea is that visual themes are in a separate folder outside the framework folder. Does framework independence include the visual themes folder? That has not been discussed. Then there are the multitude of dependencies upon the applications folder.

From my perspective, achieving this objective will require a two pronged approach: 1) Identify the framework dependencies on outside components, and 2) avoid introducing new framework dependencies on outside components.