Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Scott Lombard <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/29 20:57:44 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Is a Lucene.Net Line-by-Line Jave port needed?

After the large community response about moving the code base from .Net 2.0
to Net 4.0 I am trying to figure out what is the need for a line-by-line
port.  Starting with Digy's excellent work on the conversion to generics a
priority of the 2.9.4g release is the 2 packages would not be
interchangeable.  So faster turnaround from a java release won't matter to
non line-by-line users they will have to wait until the updates are made to
the non line-by-line code base.

My question is there really a user base for the line-by-line port?  Anyone
have a comment?

Scott

Re: [Lucene.Net] Is a Lucene.Net Line-by-Line Jave port needed?

Posted by Rory Plaire <co...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to drag this out much longer, but I am curious with people who
hold the "line-by-line" sentiment - are you NHibernate users?

-r

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
"strict adherence to the line by line porting method"? Of course not.
But having similar looking code is good if you want to port *manually*.
See for ex,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12483888/LUCENE-3234.patch
.
Porting that patch to Lucene.Net was very easy just because of this.

I don't think I have strict or objective rules for porting.
While looking at a patch in Java, if I can find out what to do in Lucene.Net
easily, that is enough.

I used some lamdas too just to make the code more similar to the java
version. For ex,
compare the java code

cache = new FilterCache<DocIdSet>(deletesMode) {
      @Override
      public DocIdSet mergeDeletes(final IndexReader r, final DocIdSet
docIdSet) {
        return new FilteredDocIdSet(docIdSet) {
          @Override
          protected boolean match(int docID) {
            return !r.isDeleted(docID);
          }
        };
      }
    };

with the code in comment(17/May/11) in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-412

I am not against idiomatic port if we can keep up with the progress of
Lucene.Java.
But for now, I'll stick to line-by-line port.

DIGY

Ok, here is a better question.  Digy in the 2.9.4g have you maintained a
strict adherence to the line by line porting method?  If not what have your
considerations when deviating from the Java.

Scott

Posted by Scott Lombard <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
> I do not know if too much emphasis should be placed on "user" vs.
"contributor".
I am sorry for this misunderstanding.
What I tried to say with "contributor"(not "committer") was the "people that
works on Lucene.Net source code", not the ones who just consume it.

DIGY

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.
I do not know if too much emphasis should be placed on "user" vs. "contributor".  The project needs to also consider those of us who use Lucene.NET source releases only.

Posted by Scott Lombard <lo...@gmail.com>.
When I look at the goals of Lucene.Net I am trying to understand what is
more important to Lucene.Net users, .NET functionality or a line-for-line
port.

.NET and Java are close but not the same.  In the past when give the choice
between a better .NET way or stay with the Java implementation the project
chose to keep the Java implementation.  If users don't care that it is a
line-for-line port then contributors will have more freedom to use a better
.NET way, while keeping functionality and index compatibility.

As contributors we can figure out how to get from the Java to Lucene.Net.
This will probably be an automated tool, but the source that the tool
outputs wouldn't need to be highly polished or even compile.  The primary
purpose would be to simplify the process of get from Java to .NET for a
release.

Scott

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.
Others have done a much better , more through job of explaining the issues in previous discussions.  It would be best to re-read those.

One way to understand it, is if Lucene.NET cannot be compared to the reference source code (Lucene core "java Lucene") than it becomes nearly impossible to validate that Lucene.NET is functioning correctly, that bug fixes made in Lucene core have been implemented in Lucene.NET, etc.  The same goes for unit tests, if they cannot be compared with the ones from Lucene core line-by-line than there is no way to know that they perform the intended tests and run correctly.

- Neal

Those are pretty strong words -- I'd really like to know why I
shouldn't trust anything but a line-by-line port. Can you explain a
bit?

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Rory,

We'd love to have your contributions! Any time you can spend on it will be
deeply appreciated.

Also, I understand your skepticism, and I agree that this is a significant
concern.

Unfortunately, that's kind of the best we can do. It's the most fair way to
set project priorities; "Whoever contributes the most wins". This is, in one
sense, the basis of Apache's meritocracy (though many would probably
disagree with that characterization). Actions speak louder than words. We
cannot please everyone, and we cannot arbitrarily decide a direction to go
in and force others to contribute to that vision. We can discuss and be open
about all possibilities, but the contributions are the real force behind the
project direction.

We encourage anyone, from whatever perspective or opinion they may hold, to
*write the code* and submit it for inclusion. If the code looks good, works,
and we can generally agree as a PMC that we should use it, we'll commit it.
That is how the project direction will be shaped.

This is fair, because while we might say that "a lot of people want a
line-by-line port" or we might say that "a lot of people want a .NET
idiomatic port" and those people might vocalize that on the mailing lists,
in the end it's "Who is willing to write code and contribute it to the
project?" which determines the shape of the code base. If there really are a
lot or people on either side of a particular opinion, they will manifest
themselves by writing and contributing (or convincing others to do so) and
thus shaping the project.

Right now, we don't have enough contributions from either side of that
discussion to prove that there is a "strong interest" in either one. We have
generally agreed to "depart from Java", but have not yet discussed the form
of that, or to what degree we want to diverge. That means it's open to
interpretation, discussion, and suggestions. No one has submitted a huge
.NET style re-write, or even seriously discussed what that sufficiently that
someone could take action on it. DIGY, who is our most active contributor,
seems most comfortable (at the moment) with maintaining and improving a
"mostly line-by-line" port. Other than that, we have had relatively few
contributions to the core library.

It could be said that this is a result of a lack of vision or direction from
the committers who are organizing the project, but really, it's not for us
to decide what the community wants. Rather, the community tells us what it
wants by voting with their submitted patches.

Take myself for example... I really, really want to move to a very modern,
.NET idiomatic, fluent, LINQ enabled API, with everything based around
interfaces, generics, injected behaviours using Action/Func<T>, all data
streamable, and all memory correctly freed, everything threadsafe, etc. I
bet there are a lot of people like me out there. However, even though I
would really LIKE it to be that way, I have neither written, nor contributed
code that makes that happen, nor effectively convinced/organized others to
help write it. This is proven by the lack of submitted patches... (well,
Chris Currens' streaming contributions are marginally my fault, since I'm
his boss at work and encouraged/enabled him to work on it on the clock, and
discussed the design and implementation details which helped him to write
it, but I personally didn't write any of that code, and it's mostly his
design and personal passion that made it happen). So, when I actually sit
down and write the code for what I want Lucene.Net to be, or sit down and
write the emails to get other people fired up enough to take action, that's
when my opinion becomes influential to the project.

At the end of the day, what is important is to let the community know that
contributions and discussions of ALL KINDS are welcome. We don't want anyone
to say, "Well, I would help out Lucene.Net, but they are going a different
direction than I want to go, so I'll just keep my changes to myself" (or
worse, just not write any code at all).

In my opinion, we should be using our energy and brainpower to discuss how
we can achieve "this AND that" vs arguing over whether we should do "this OR
that". When you write your patches, try to think of how you can implement
something to support both. We don't need two side-by-side code bases, but
rather one code base that supports all major use cases. This is not easy to
do, but it's almost always possible.

We are a bunch of smart and talented folks. We can do it. It'll be awesome.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Rory Plaire <co...@gmail.com>.
Of course I'd love to contribute. I'm hopeful I can spend even a few hours a

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
[...]

often account for a lot of the bugs that are Lucene.Net only. Our attempt to

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rory,
I agree with you in theory. But collecting people to work on a project is
not easy as giving advise.
Till now, line-by-line port have seemed to be the best with a limited human
source.

Would you be willing to work on your approach and maintain newer Lucene.Net
releases?

DIGY

[...]

Since I'm using .Net, I'd want the Lucene.Net project to be more .Net than a

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.

Posted by "Granroth, Neal V." <ne...@thermofisher.com>.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,
Please avoid crossposting(as I do now). Since when I reply to your eMail, it
goes to one of the lists and thread is splitted into two.
It may be good for announcements but not for discussions.

DIGY

Posted by Kieran Logan <ki...@roleconnect.com>.
Hi Scott

Can only speak for my own interests. The line-by-line port is not of
interest or to put it another way, I would consider a .Net 4 version which
uses the framework optimally of far greater interest than a line-by-line
port.

Kieran

Posted by Moray McConnachie <mm...@oxford-analytica.com>.
I'm not really clear exactly what you mean when you say:

"a priority of the 2.9.4g release is the 2 packages would not be
interchangeable."

So I find it hard to judge - I've been not full time on the list though...

What is the proposed change to the roadmap, if any? Is that up-to-date?

M.