Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Shane Mingins <sh...@assureinternational.com> on 2003/10/20 04:20:36 UTC

Defining Struts in Terms of PofEAA

Hi

I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to define the Struts
architecture in terms of the patterns in Martin Fowler's Patterns of
Enterprise Architecture.

Is it possible to define the following elements in the controller layer
(from Struts In Action):

ActionForwards
ActionForm Classes
ActionServlet
ActionMappings
Action Classes

As I read about input controllers vs application controller and then page
controllers, I am wondering whether elements of the Struts framework fall
into these patterns or not?

Could some one familiar with both Struts and PofEAA please enlighten me?

Thanks
Shane

Shane Mingins
Analyst Programmer
Assure NZ Ltd
Ph 644 494 2522

Re: Defining Struts in Terms of PofEAA

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Shane-

Take a look at
http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/modelViewController.html

To quote HyperDictionary:
(MVC) A way of partitioning the design of interactive software. The "model"
is the internal workings of the program (the algorithms), the "view" is how
the user sees the state of the model and the "controller" is how the user
changes the state or provides input.

Hope this helps,

-Martin