Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2017/11/17 04:36:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift

Accumulo Devs,

I think it's time we start seriously thinking about moving away from Thrift
and considering alternatives.
For me, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4062 is becoming the
last straw.

Thrift is a neat idea, but to be blunt: there seems to be a fundamental
lack of care or interest from the Thrift developers at the current moment.

Some of the problems we've seen over the years: Every version is
fundamentally incompatible with other versions. Repeated flip-flopping
regressions seems to occur with each release. Fundamental design concepts
like distinguishing server-side exceptions (TApplicationException vs.
TException) are undermined without consideration of the initial design. And
now, a serious bug (a spammy debugging print statement) was left in for
nearly a year now (still exists in current version), and no response from
the PMC to indicate any willingness to release a fix. Repeated requests to
the developer list has gone ignored. And, I'm not even counting my requests
for assistance debugging a compiler issue on s390x arch having also gone
ignored.

These problems are not exclusive to Accumulo. Many of these are problems
that Cassandra has also faced, and I'm sure there are others.

It's possible that Thrift can remedy the situation. None of these problems
are insurmountable, and none of them are beyond fixes, particularly if we
can afford to volunteer more to help out. My intention is not to throw a
fellow Apache project under the bus, and I do not intend to give up
reporting bugs, and contributing patches to Thrift where appropriate. But,
I think we also need to think realistically, and consider alternatives, if
Thrift development does not go in a direction which is favorable to
Accumulo.

So, with that in mind, any suggestions for alternatives? With pros/cons?

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I'm reluctant to use any protobuf-based RPC framework, because I think
protobuf has similar issues with incompatibilities between versions as
Thrift does. There does seem to be more tooling for it, though, and maybe
it has gotten better since last I looked.

We've discussed before about possibly imposing limits on key/value sizes,
but 1MB seems very small. I think Thrift is able to handle larger well
enough. If gRPC can't handle bigger, that's a bit concerning (in addition
to its reliance on protobuf).

It seems worth a second look, though. Thanks, Mike!

Posted by Michael Hogue <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Similarly, see me on behalf of the HBase PMC prodding Hadoop to make more
maintenance releases.

Let's work out our messaging for "your downstreams ask you to please
release" as well as our offer of help.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11/17/17 10:32 AM, Christopher wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM Josh Elser<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> Did you offer to make the release? See me with commons-vfs a time back.
> >>

> > The current issue with Thrift is not the point. The problems we've
> > encountered with Thrift were was provided as background context only.
>
> I seriously think you are avoiding all of the good that Thrift provides
> us for the sake of a platform to discuss your distaste. Take a look at
> the amount of code that makes up Hadoop's or HBase's RPC implementations
> and the corresponding (often nasty) bugs that have come up over the years.

That's really not it. I'm just trying to have a discussion about what
alternatives *might* be better. The answer might be nothing. I'm okay with
that. I just want to discuss as a group.

> There are numerous things which Thrift continues to do very well that
> have never become problems for us in Accumulo. Having seen the other
> side of the fence, I would happily take Thrift (warts and all) any day
> over the alternatives.

I have not had the luxury of having experience with many alternatives.
Since my intention here is to solicit that kind of perspective, I'd love to
hear more about your experiences with possible alternatives, and where they
might be better or worse than Thrift for Accumulo.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

On 11/17/17 10:32 AM, Christopher wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM Josh Elser<el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Did you offer to make the release? See me with commons-vfs a time back.
>>

> The current issue with Thrift is not the point. The problems we've
> encountered with Thrift were was provided as background context only.

I seriously think you are avoiding all of the good that Thrift provides
us for the sake of a platform to discuss your distaste. Take a look at
the amount of code that makes up Hadoop's or HBase's RPC implementations
and the corresponding (often nasty) bugs that have come up over the years.

There are numerous things which Thrift continues to do very well that
have never become problems for us in Accumulo. Having seen the other
side of the fence, I would happily take Thrift (warts and all) any day
over the alternatives.

>> Your proposal seems to me like you're blowing the situation out of
>> proportion.
>>

> I haven't proposed we do anything beyond "consider" or "discuss". I don't
> think "consider" or "discuss" are "out of proportion", even if Thrift had
> zero problems.

/me blinks. Ok then.

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving away from Thrift

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Wonders <jw...@gmail.com>.
I have had pleasant experiences with grpc for several little projects.  The
grpc project is explicit about stable and experimental apis.  There are
however still a number of useful features that are considered experimental.

Since grpc supports async requests over TLS channels it would make it much
more natural to add async apis for both scanning and writing.  I've been
working on a little side project to explore what is possible today but got
ran into challenges due to thrift not supporting TLS for nonblocking
clients.  I think grpc could lead to the possibility of eliminating some
thread pools within the accumulo client.

Another benefit is that it uses a standardized protocol (HTTP/2) underneath.

It is the best alternative to thrift that I'm aware of for general purpose
rpc/ipc.  That being said, it would be a serious undertaking to swap out
thrift for anything else.

--Jonathan

Posted by Dylan Hutchison <dh...@cs.washington.edu>.
I don't know if it is mature yet, but Apache Arrow has an RPC format and
bindings for several languages.  See slide 37+ here:

https://www.slideshare.net/julienledem/the-columnar-roadmap-apache-parquet-and-apache-arrow

Arrow's RPC would be particularly advantageous if the Arrow format were
used throughout Accumulo, but perhaps there is some benefit with just using
Arrow's RPC.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.