Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/02 21:09:16 UTC

Greetings List

Hello everyone

While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..

Thanks
troy

Re: Greetings List

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
Quoting Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>:

> "Troy Bull" <tr...@gmail.com> writes:
>> While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
>> valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
>> guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
>> did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..
>
> Just FYI: this is a perfectly valid SVN question, totally on-topic for
> this list, etc.
>
> (I'm not a Mac user so I don't know what to recommend.  Good luck.)

(whoops, should have replied to list -- sorry, karl.)

rapidsvn.

rday

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Troy Bull" <tr...@gmail.com> writes:
> While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
> valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
> guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
> did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..

Just FYI: this is a perfectly valid SVN question, totally on-topic for
this list, etc.

(I'm not a Mac user so I don't know what to recommend.  Good luck.)

-Karl

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Quinn Taylor <qu...@mac.com>.
>> there are two commercial OSX apps that a lot of people have been
>> raving about:
>>
>> http://www.zennaware.com/cornerstone/
>> http://www.versionsapp.com/
>
> Also:
>
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartsvn/
> http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/svnx/
>
> Both are free.
>
> Trevor

Despite opinions on the list against Versions, I've found that it's
been fairly impressive overall. It's still in active beta, and the
developers are very committed to making it increasingly powerful and
easy to use. Due to development priorities, it still lacks certain
features that SVN power users would consider essential, such as --
force for actions that require it.

Since your question was about what Mac users use, here's a succinct
way to put it...

Many Mac users just use the Terminal—it's the lowest common
denominator, and instructions from "the book" just work. However, long-
time Mac users like myself (those who generally prefer GUIs when
available, and came to Unix when OS X did) often want something more
visual. We use things like svnX, ZigVersion, and RapidSVN grudgingly,
because (no offense intended) their GUIs are not really up to par with
the overall Mac experience. Just because a program has a GUI doesn't
mean it's intuitive or well-designed.

The primary weakness of Versions is that it's not yet complete. The
primary weakness of Cornerstone is that it's often painfully slow. (I
realize that many on the list would say that the primary weakness of
both is that they cost money, but Mac users are odd ducks in that we
generally don't mind paying for something that works well and makes
our work more pleasant.)

My 2¢ is to check out Versions, and svnX if that doesn't yet do
everything you need. Versions has a Google group that can help tell
you what the developers are actively working on right now.

BTW, SmartSVN is NOT fully free; there is a Foundation version and a
Professional version, just something to be aware of.

HTH,
  - Quinn

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 2-Sep-08, at 6:18 PM, Mark Phippard wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
>> valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
>> guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
>> did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..
>
> I do everything from Eclipse (Subclipse) or the command line.

Same here. Subclipse is excellent.

--Toby

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
> valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
> guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
> did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..

I do everything from Eclipse (Subclipse) or the command line.  That
said, there are two commercial OSX apps that a lot of people have been
raving about:

http://www.zennaware.com/cornerstone/
http://www.versionsapp.com/

I only tried the latter and did not really like it.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Greetings List

Posted by Matthias Fechner <id...@fechner.net>.
Hi Troy,

Troy Bull wrote:
> While not technically a svn question people here will surely have
> valuable opinions.  I just got my first Mac, I have always been a PC
> guy and used TortoiseSVN.  What do people recommend for the mac?  I
> did some googling and haven't seen one that grabs my attention yet..

I use psvn from Aquamacs (an emacs clone), works perfectly here.

Bye,
Matthias

Rich Cook